How to use HP Pavilion recovery partition? (1219 Views)
Occasional Visitor
marko leosk
Message 1 of 7 (1,219 Views)

How to use HP Pavilion recovery partition?

I used "Recovery manager" to recover my Pavilion to factory defaults. I have HP Pavilion dv9500, and once, this happened. When installing Kaspersky, my computer totally crashed and I wasn't able to recover it. My friend came with windows Vista cd and formated my laptop and installed Vista. Now I only have 22 days left and I'm trying to recover my original factory settings. PS ! The recovery partition is still there and it's untouched. What do I do to get back my factory settings with HP Recovery Manager? Also, I didn't get any CD's / DVD's when I bought the laptop.
Honored Contributor
Bobby Sledge
Message 2 of 7 (1,219 Views)

Re: How to use HP Pavilion recovery partition?

If you used a different OEM or retail disk, you may not have access to the recovery partition.

Normally, the recovery partition is accessed by pressing f11 as the computer boots.

I am curious as to why you did not make a restore CD set when you first got the computer?

Frequent Advisor
Allen Taylor
Message 3 of 7 (1,219 Views)

You should be able to "activate" the Vista install that's been done by your friend.

Just go on-line to activate it and use the install key that's on the Microsoft COA that's on the bottom of your computer.

If this doesn't work, you also should be able to re-install the Vista like your friend did (use his disk) and for the install, once again, use the HP OEM key that's on your computer. Vista DVD's seem to have all of the various versions on them, and they just install the one that's compatible with your install key.
Honored Contributor
Bobby Sledge
Message 4 of 7 (1,219 Views)

If you used a retail Windows disc, you will not be able to activate the current copy you have installed.

If you used an OEM disc from another OEM (Dell, etc), you may not be able to activate it either.

Your COA activation sticker on the bottom of your laptop is for an HP OEM Version of Windows.

If you used anything other than an HP OEM windows install disc, there is certainly no guarantee that it will activate using the number on the bottom of the computer.

You can order a Restore DIsc set from HP for less than $20.

Still curious as to why you did not make a restore disc set when the computer was new?

Frequent Advisor
Allen Taylor
Message 5 of 7 (1,219 Views)

Bobby ...

You may want to look at this thread in another forum:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?s=d4ee5e82880386f8b3ab0940060b78c8&t=120228

To quote a portion of it:
"There is no such thing as a "Home Premium Vista" disc, or an "Ultimate Vista" disc!!!! ALL VISTA DISCS CONTAIN ALL VERSIONS OF VISTA. The thing that determines what version of Vista you have is the License Key that you have. You may have a sticker on it that says "Vista Business" or "Vista Home Premium", but IT IS A LIE.

Your disc *may* be forced to install a certain version, (see "CUSTOM OEM Vista Disc" below) but it still contains all versions. It is possible to modify this disc so you can use it to install any version (that you have a license for)."

FWIW, I HAVE used an "Anytime Upgrade Disk" that I purschased on ebay to install Vista on my HP Pavilion laptop by using the OEM key that's on the bottom of the machine. (It activated automatically once I went on-line.)
Honored Contributor
Bobby Sledge
Message 6 of 7 (1,219 Views)

I did not dispute that. I am disputing the use of an OEM COA activation number to activate a Retail version of Windows. Please read my post again. I am aware that all *RETAIL* versions of Windows Vista are anytime upgrade discs...that has nothing to do with OEM vs. Retail.

Frequent Advisor
Allen Taylor
Message 7 of 7 (1,219 Views)

>>I am disputing the use of an OEM COA activation number to activate a Retail version of Windows<<

I'm still not convinced that it won't work if it's done at the point in time during the install when the "key" is requested (what I'm saying is that your OEM key CAN be used to install from a retail disk).

I have ONLY used the Anytime Upgrade to install my OEM, so I don't have the first-hand experience about other install/activation issues, but the following is another quote from the previous thread that I cited:

"OEM Vista Disc - These discs sometimes get shipped with your system, and are IDENTICAL to the Vista Retail and Anytime Upgrade discs. The main difference here is in the licensing from the OEM (HP, Dell, etc...)."

This verbage sounds like there is NO difference between Retail and OEM disks. (I do know that there are volumes written that say the "retail upgrade disk" can be used to create a "clean" install, so it must also contain all of the versions.)

BUT ... I most likely don't understand the issues very well that are listed here in the post, so I willingly yield to your expertise.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.