Fix for dvd drive not reading normal cd's (138 Views)
Honored Contributor
Chris Kucy
Message 1 of 5 (138 Views)

Fix for dvd drive not reading normal cd's

Well for those of you including me whose toshiba sd-c2502 dvd rom drives in various pavilion notebooks stopped reading normal cd's but continued to read dvd's, there is good news. THe drive is not defective or broken, its just dirty. Today I stripped my drive down completely, cleaned off every electrical contact and swabbed them with some alcohol, cleaned the lens and blew the dust and grime out of the cracks and crevices, put it all back together again and now its reading both dvd and cd discs flawlessly. Its good to know the drive isn't broken. If your not comfortable in disassembling the drive, then several good blasts of compressed air into the drive may do the trick.
"File Deletion Is Murder, Hard Drive Formatting Is Genocide" Unknown
Message 2 of 5 (138 Views)

Re: Fix for dvd drive not reading normal cd's

I don't recommend using compressed air to clean a cd/DVD-rom drive. Some drive manufacturers have stated that warranty will be voided in that event.

Use a CD-Rom cleaning disc.
Occasional Advisor
Thomas F. Ewald
Message 3 of 5 (138 Views)

Jeremy, I've tried CD-drive cleaners several times, and they don't help. I just tried the compressed air with no help either, however. I'm OK taking desktops apart, but hesitate to do it with a laptop. I complained and complained in this forum about my Pavilion N5435, and got some temporary help, but--and this is my own fault--never just packed the puppy up and sent it back to HP. Now it's a few months out of warranty, and the local repair guy tells me the CD-drive is bad, and it would not be cost effective to replace it. So I guess I get an external CD-R drive, and only use the internal one for DVDs. Or I would, but the DVD decoder got corrupted, and I can't feed in a CD to fix it. Oh, well. An expensive music CD player, I guess.
Tom Ewald
Message 4 of 5 (138 Views)

If you have previously phoned HP about this problem, even if you havent sent it in to be repaired for the problem, they most likely will honor the replacement.

They really are pretty good about it. Heck, they might even honor it if you have kept records of your postings in here about the problem.

When you talk to the phone people, ask to speak to their supervisor if you dont get a resolution in your favor.

I should have asked, what does "its a couple of months out of warranty" really mean? 2, 3? or are we talking nearly a year? Heh.
Occasional Advisor
Thomas F. Ewald
Message 5 of 5 (138 Views)

Hmm...Think I bought it in November, so guess it's more like 4 months now. ;-(

Hey...tried the CD player again about 20 minutes or so AFTER blowing it out with compressed air, and it works again...first time in months! My thanks also to the original poster. Hmm...wonder if something was out of alignment and the air pushed it back, or if it was just dirty. Anyway...thanks.

<>
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.