Compaq Presario 700 Laptop, Windows XP Home Edit (35 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 3 (35 Views)

Compaq Presario 700 Laptop, Windows XP Home Edit

[ Edited ]

System 996 MHz AMD Duron and 368 MB Ram.

The systems hangs after about 20 minutes, even if actively scanning or defragmenting. I have run virus scan, scandisk defrag and cleaned all unnecessary files.

No error messages just a system hang. Have to shut down and restart with a power button cut-off in order to regain functionality.

The only issue I have found with this system is that the battery does not hold a charge. It will lose charge over a 24hr period with the laptop off. However, the erractic behavior occurs whether on battery or direct current.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be the defective battery issue or could it be the beginning of a hard drive failure issue?

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to Notebook PCs - Pavilions, Presario. - Hp forum Moderator

An open mind to learning is the path to continued success.
Valued Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (35 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario 700 Laptop, Windows XP Home Edit

I would go to the drivers page and download any power enhancements as well as the lid switch policy if it's there. I would start with the BIOS update if you are not running the most current version. Also, you want to calibrate the battery and replace it if it still exhibits this behavior after calibration.
If at first you don't succeed, you must be installing Windows
Honored Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (35 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario 700 Laptop, Windows XP Home Edit

Sounds like a heat issue. Is the fan working? Try using a vacuum cleaner hose to suck hot air out or a hair dryer set to blow cold air to see if that will keep it from dying. You may need to replace the thermal pad between the CPU and the heatsink with some Arctic Silver thermal paste.

Ron
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.