Boot from USB HDD for Compaq Presario Notebook (13205 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Paul Noone
Message 1 of 15 (13,205 Views)
Accepted Solution

Boot from USB HDD for Compaq Presario Notebook

Hi, I've recently purchased a large capacity (260GB) external USB HDD for the purpose of backing up, mirroring and creating a secondary boot location only to find that the BIOS on my Compaq Presario V2000 doesn't appear to support this.

So, the question: is there a BIOS upgrade for this model that can enable booting from and installing Windows XP to USB devices??

Very much looking forward to your reply.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 2 of 15 (13,205 Views)

Re: Boot from USB HDD for Compaq Presario Notebook

Occasional Visitor
Paul Noone
Message 3 of 15 (13,205 Views)

Hi Rich S,

Thanks for you prompt reply.

I'd already attempted changing the boot order through my existing BIOS version (F.11) and USB was not an option, hence my reason for wanting to upgrade.

I'd also already visited the "compatible" downloads section for the V200 notebook from the link you provided and downloaded the available sp32588.exe (F.23A BIOS) upgrade.

Unfortunately, upon running it I receive a dialog box informing me that "The BIOS is not for your notebook PC", despite the fact that the Compaq Presario V2000 Notebook PC is listed under Prouct Types in the splash screen.

This is clearly the model listed on the sticker placed on the bottom of my laptop. Could it be that it is a later revision or a model specific to the region (Australia)?

All I'm trying to achieve here is a BIOS upgrade that will provide USB as a boot order option.

Thanks in advance.
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 15 (13,205 Views)

Look on the Serial tag on the bottom for the actual varition of the V2000 that you have and enter it at the drivers and downloads entry that should take you right to it.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 5 of 15 (13,205 Views)

I knew one HP laptop that showed up at boot time when the USB thumb drive was inserted.

Rare but worth a mention. Otherwise it didn't show up whne pressing F10 during post time.

I have never found another like it since though.... that was a couple of years ago.

Sorry this is the only bios I have found for XP Version: F.23 A ....

http://tinyurl.com/y58tyk

I'lll keep an eye out....

Rich

say thanks with HP POINTS
Occasional Visitor
Paul Noone
Message 6 of 15 (13,205 Views)

Hi guys,

Thanks for that. Seems my specific notebook model is actually the V2417AU.

I installed the available BIOS update - WinFlash Utility for HP Notebook System BIOS F.27 (13 Sep 2006) - but still have no USB option for boot order.

The current list is:

Floppy Disk Drive
ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
* Hard Drive
Network Adapter

The 240GB external USB drive was on and connected at the time. Could it be that Windows needs to be installed on the drive for it to be recognised?

The Catch-22 there of course is that I can't install Windows onto if it's not recognised. :)

Still hopeful.
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 7 of 15 (13,205 Views)

No, the OS does not have to be resident on the USB HDD to work.

here is a good articel on how USB works.

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=28700158

Rich
Honored Contributor
Rich S
Message 8 of 15 (13,205 Views)

No, the OS does not have to be resident on the USB HDD to work.

here is a good article on how USB works.

http://www.informationweek.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=28700158

Rich

say thanks with HP POINTS
Occasional Visitor
Sanjay Panchbhaya
Message 9 of 15 (13,205 Views)

Did you get any solution to this?

I am also in need of similar solution.

Regards,
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 10 of 15 (13,205 Views)

If your above post is correct try looking under the HD in setup and see if the USB drive shows up it may just a mater of reversing the order of the HDs
Occasional Visitor
Dimi Panagiot
Message 11 of 15 (12,863 Views)

You are right, the V2000 does not seem to be able to boot from a usb drive, it sounds unbelievable but true. No bios currently exists to support that. Also, be aware that just because on the top right of the screen it says V2000 and just because the sticker on the under side says a specific part number, your laptop does not have to be that model or part number. Unbelievable? Yes, but it seems that HP really fooled a lot of people with this gimmick. Mine says PV898AV#ABA but it's really part# PV341AV#ABA and even though I though I was buying a V2000z what I really have is a V2300CTO. When you boot, hit F10 for the bios setup and on the first page you will see the REAL part number of your laptop. Also, do not listen to those (hungry for points) eager to give you "expert advise", to access your boot order during post, hit the esc key. Other than that, great job HP/Compaq, it took me numerable hours to find what I had and get the right drivers when my windows crashed.
Occasional Visitor
Paul Noone
Message 12 of 15 (12,863 Views)

Hard to believe I opened this thread on Feb 27, 2007 and there's still not a suitable workaround or BIOS upgrade to manage what really should be a simple request.

Frustrating to say the least.

Thanks for confirming what I'd already deduced. Thre is no USB boot option for this model AND HP don't make it easy for owners to determine what model they have.
Occasional Visitor
marcus tabb
Message 13 of 15 (12,863 Views)

The Presario v2000 as well as the dv1000 will boot from USB flash drives. It is not obvious in the bios. One has to look for it. Here is how: first turn the computer off and insert your bookable USB flash drive, because it must be seen in order for this to work. Now start your computer and go into the bios. Go to advance, boot order, hard drive and hit enter and see does your flash dive show up under hard drive. If it is there you are in luck, if not maybe you should try another flash drive. Once you see it use f5/f6 to change the order. Give the flash drive priority over the hard drive. Hit f10 to save and exit. Don't worry about floppy or cdrom being ahead in the boot order. As long as neither is present it will boot from the usb flash drive first. Once the flash drive is removed it will boot normally from the hard drive. Once reinserted the USB disk should take priority. That's it.
Advisor
dimi pana
Message 14 of 15 (12,863 Views)

I tried what the previous message is suggesting and it works but ...only partially.

Yes, my Presario will not see a "boot from USB" option in bios.

Yes, it will "see" your USB flash drive as an available for booting from hard drives, but ONLY if you inserted the USB stick BEFORE you turned your computer on.

And, NO, the setting does not "stick". Once you remove the USB drive and reboot without it being plugged in, the setting is lost and you have to do it all over again.

Not sure if this is global, but this is how it works with my Presario V2000z (really a V2300CTO), I am 100% positive about this.

--

Again, GREAT JOB(!) Hewlett-Packard-Compaq you really screwed up big this time!!!

Good job Marcus, anyway!!!
Occasional Advisor
Tim Chambers
Message 15 of 15 (7,585 Views)

Worked for me. Thank you, very much for this explanation!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.