hp omnibook 6000 battery problems (112 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Ryan Curran_1
Message 1 of 5 (112 Views)

hp omnibook 6000 battery problems

[ Edited ]

omnibook 6000
800 mhz
512 ram
windows xp pro sp2

bios ver: Phoenix Technologies Ltd. EA. M1.83 4/11/03

Patches from HP installed:
Intel Speedstep technology applet
synaptics touchpad

so onto the question. my batter light changes red when i run it off of AC power. when i unplug (even though i know the battery is fully charged) i get the critical battery message. i can continue to operate my computer for up to 2 or 3 hours, but this error bugs me. also the mouse pointer sticks periodically, even though i installed the patch from the HP website. any help would be appreciated.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to Notebook PC - Omnibooks, EVO. -HP Forum Moderator

Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (112 Views)

Re: hp omnibook 6000 battery problems

The Omnibook 500 and 510 have a battery calibration utility built in, you might try this an see if it works with the 6000 as well: When booting, at the point you would normally press F2 to enter BIOS setup press F6 instead. This will start a battery calibration utility that will charge, discharge and then charge the battery. At the end of all this it will rewrite the caliration information to the battery which should solve the problem. You will probably want to do this overnight, as it can take six hours or more on the OB 500, probably similar for the 6000.

Regards,
Bob Headrick
(points appreciated)
{-- If this helped click the Kudos star.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Occasional Contributor
Ryan Curran_1
Message 3 of 5 (112 Views)

i already did that, but thanks
Honored Contributor
Bob Headrick
Message 4 of 5 (112 Views)

What were the before and after results of the calibration? Does the battery properly show as haivng 3000maH or so of capacity or does it show a very small value?

- Bob Headrick
{-- If this helped click the Kudos star.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Esteemed Contributor
Jules
Message 5 of 5 (112 Views)

Sometimes, if someone has been rough with the plug where you plug the adapter in, the contacts to the motherboard are broken. The adapter shows that it is charging but it does not get through to the battery. The fix is a new motherboard, or get someone to solder the adapter contact back on.
---++++Only read the manual as a last resort++++---.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.