W200 WLAn power-on + blue screen (584 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Dave Nothstein
Message 51 of 56 (581 Views)

Re: W200 WLAn power-on + blue screen

Hmm, isnâ t this interesting. I was shocked to see current action on threads for a 6 year old machine. Machine is EVO N1020v. XP Pro SP3. It had picked up BSOD @ very random times in the past, maybe once every 3 months, with a restart as a solution.
On Monday my wife fired it and after a few moments it went BSOD, attempted refire, and BSOD. Then she brings it to me. Please excuse me if I describe some of this wrong, I am not an IT, but I can usually hang. Thank you to those here, I appreciate the lack of -snootiness that I often see on Technical Forums meant to make mere mortals look stupid.
To diagnose the issue, I started in safe, checked for errors the whole bit. Did HP search and found a lot of threads before this one.
This one is spot on.
Did as directed above and when disabling scheduler and restart, okay. Scheduler on and restart BSOD. Removed hardware from device manager and installed SP23031, restart, all is good, except connectivity. Installed SP27295 as our router uses WPA and needed to insert keys. BSOD.
So my options appear to be:
1. Use SP23031, and we can use non-encrypted Wi-Fi, but not use it @ our house. Not so good.
2. Install aftermarket card. I hate to do this, as I donâ t like having to add one more thing, to add possibly one more problem. However, the faster downloads might be nice.
3. Figure a way to configure our router to entertain WPA, and accept this machine on its own. (I donâ t know if this is possible.) This I need to investigate.
This machine was working awesome until Monday, but I did notice that there seemed to be some updates over the weekend. I donâ t know if one of those is at fault, but I doubt it, as the posters above had failures within different time windows.
Like other have said, if someone creates a workable solution that maintains the W200, Iâ d appreciate it. Iâ ve subscribed to this thread to notify me.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
crws
Message 52 of 56 (581 Views)

Howdy howdy,
Was going to post an update to Adam's post earlier, but got tied up.
I'm very close to certain that the BSOD is a result of automatically trying to "connect when the network is within range", which is enabled or disabled from the windows wireless network configuration properties page from the Network Connections folder.
(Network Connections-->Wireless Network Connections-->(pick your network) Wireless Network Connection Properties-->(selected Network) Properties-->Connection Tab.
If you get your laptop far enough outside of your wireless LAN so it can't auto connect, the BSOD should be averted so you can uncheck this box to make it a manual connection. At that stage, you can hardwire into your router, turnoff WPA, and setup WEP. For those of you that think 64 bit encryption is too weak to keep the neighborhood script kiddies with extra time on their hands from hijacking your packets, 128 bit should keep them busy for awhile, or you can always set your router to a finite MAC address table. I think WPA & WPA-PSK key-cycling and exchange is too complex for this card to handle, especially since support evaporated.
I just plan in advance when near unknown networks that may not be configured with WEP. Windows will always default to auto-connect when you add a wireless network, causing the BSOD whenever an authorized WPA network is within range.
Let me know if this works for you.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Roland Weber
Message 53 of 56 (581 Views)

I'm trying a evo n800c with Windows 7 and the only problem is the Multiport W200 WLAN card. I'm getting a blue screen only at power up when the WLAN is activated and boot the system. If I dactivate the WLAN card with the Fn F2 before I switch off the system and reboot in this state, there is no problem.
When I switch the WLAN on while Windows is running it's working stable even with N network router enabled.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
crws
Message 54 of 56 (581 Views)

try one of these-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330385058500&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
you'll need an antenna, but for about $10 it will go in the modem slot. Let me know if it works- I just bought a PCMCIA add on because it was easy.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
christophe fauconnier
Message 55 of 56 (581 Views)

Hi Roland Weber,

I'm trying W7 on a N800C as well, but have issues, when coming back from standby, the mouse & keyboard won't work.
Shutting down the PC (remotely) after this resume from standby gives a BSOD driver_power_state_failure.
I'm not sure it's realted to the mouse/keyub or the Video Display drivers.

With the dispaly drivers I found, I Can't play any Directx little games :(

How is yours doing?
tx
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
pawn3dbitch
Message 56 of 56 (581 Views)

HOLD HP ACCOUNTABLE!
SUPPORT YOUR PRODUCT.
HP is the worst.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation