W200 WLAn power-on + blue screen (631 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Fabian Finlay
Message 26 of 56 (2,373 Views)

Re: W200 WLAn power-on + blue screen

I have been having the same problem after installing Windows XP SP3.

I have narrowed down the blue screen of death to Compaq WLAN Multiport W200 Packet Scheduler Miniport. Disable it and the computer works but wireless LAN does not.

Thanks guys. Sp23031.exe Version 1.0C solved the problem. Here is a link to it but not sure if this is the best version or not. After installing it there is no longer a packet scheduler to cause problems. The wireless LAN seems to work fine. Do not use SP29156.exe

The Compaq Cleint manager does not work with SP3 but the Windows software works fine instead.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=hb-1...

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 27 of 56 (2,373 Views)

Version C cracked it for me too on N600C with XP/SP3
Interestingly, same machines with W2K don't seen to suffer.
Clearly an MS-induced problem!
Thanks guys.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GEORGE GEORGOUDES
Message 28 of 56 (2,373 Views)

I have been working on this issue for 3 days now.

I also own a Compaq Evo N610c.
with a Wireless LAN W200.

I also get the Blue Screen:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
I have Windows XP Pro SP 3

I tried all the associated Drivers:

sp29156, sp23031

Same Result: Blue Screen.

Questions:
1. Is this a Microsoft issue or a HP issue?
2. How do I completely Remove the Drivers and everything else associated with the Wireless LAN W200?
3. Why doesn't HP care to help us with the correct answer?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GEORGE GEORGOUDES
Message 29 of 56 (2,373 Views)

I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!

1. Booted into safe mode
2. Disabled the Hardware of the W200 in Device Manager
3. NO MORE BSOD
4. Went and bought a D LINK Wireless USB
5. Works GREAT!!
6. Tossed the W200 Wireless LAN in the Garbage.
have a nice day and thank you for calling.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
brian hewitt
Message 30 of 56 (2,373 Views)

Thanks so much for this solution (to roll back W200 driver to sp20301 (v1.00C) which has cured this BSOD IRQL +/- problem on my EVO N620C.

NB: Client Manager of the previous installation needs first to be removed in Add/Remove Programs, as not compatible. Then reinstall and it seems to work perfectly!

I will never install another MS Update again!

BRGDS Brian
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dale Young
Message 31 of 56 (2,319 Views)

Quote from above:

"Oct 23, 2008 20:39:26 GMT Unassigned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been having the same problem after installing Windows XP SP3.

I have narrowed down the blue screen of death to Compaq WLAN Multiport W200 Packet Scheduler Miniport. Disable it and the computer works but wireless LAN does not.

Thanks guys. Sp23031.exe Version 1.0C solved the problem. Here is a link to it but not sure if this is the best version or not. After installing it there is no longer a packet scheduler to cause problems. The wireless LAN seems to work fine. Do not use SP29156.exe

The Compaq Cleint manager does not work with SP3 but the Windows software works fine instead.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=hb-1... "

This worked for me so far! No blue screen of death!! Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
briandoc
Message 32 of 56 (2,319 Views)

Rolling back the drivers does seem to work as indicated.

But really, that's not a great solution as it only provides access to WEP secured access points.

Has anyone had any luck getting the more recent drivers to work? The problem really seems to stem from the XP SP3 update or one of the newer updates.

I hope HP and this forum don't consider this resolved yet. I know the W200 is older hardware but we have a lot of laptops that now exhibit this STOP error and replacing all the cards really shouldn't have to be the solution.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 33 of 56 (2,299 Views)

****Briandoc and Moderators****

I agree with Brian. Even tho' the W200 is not exactly new, we expect HP to support it.

After all - this isn't just a matter of looking after faithful customers - but those of us with ageing Compaq/HP stuff are surely the most likely to upgrade soon. Lack of software support after a few years will hardly endear us to HP - and leave us seriously considering other brands next time.
A bit of effort now would surely pay dividends for HP - and save it from joining the ranks of the Chrysler/GM/Ford dinosaurs in 2009 ...

So Moderators - can you please do your best to get this message passed up the (christmas) tree in HP?

Seasons greetings to all
Paul

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Philip Doragh
Message 34 of 56 (2,299 Views)

The possibility of change in the driver set for the W200 is less than zero. The W200 was built using a Agere USB chipset from 2000/2001. But Agere no longer exists, it was taken over by LSI.... but before LSI bought Agere, it sold its WLAN business to Proxim... which uses the ORiNOCO brand name but uses completely different chipset design. That means that the Agere engineers were "let go".

So to fix the driver/firmware, you have to find someone: Who knows where the source code for the firmware and drivers exist, is able to reconstruct the build environment, and is knowledgable or could become knowledgable about Agere's USB WLAN design.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
briandoc
Message 35 of 56 (2,299 Views)

So when a company such as HP sells a laptop and then a major function of the laptop, ie wireless networking, becomes unusable because of an update to the operating system, they just say oh well, too bad for you? I'm not quite sure that is acceptable.

Well I'm glad I'm involved in the future purchasing decisions of my organization.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
Philip Doragh
Message 36 of 56 (2,299 Views)

Well since all of the machines that are multiport enabled have had their warranties end a few years ago...yes. I don't know of any PC manufacturer who would behave any differently.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 37 of 56 (2,299 Views)

Phil

Do you take the same view about your car or domestic appliances ? viz: if it fails after warranty expires, you're happy that it can't be fixed???? And who are these computer manufacturers that do that - I'd like to make sure I don't buy any product from them.

The facts are that no manufacturer (or other business) in its right mind would outsource hard, firm or software without requiring full disclosure on all design aspects and the right to modify/develop the outsourced item themselves in certain circumstances - including where the original supplier was unable to do so.

Not only that, but most large purchasers also specify during the procurement process and subsequent contract a minimum period of full support for parts and software. As these are business notebook accessories we're talking about, I suspect HP has many contracts specifying anything from 7 -12 years of support - and some of these may well count from the date the last new product was supplied. Indeed, in some countries, there is a legal requirement on manufacturers to provide a minimum period of product support following cessation of manufacture.

So, while I bow to your superior technical knowledge, I don't accept your view that HP "can't" nor that there is any excuse, justification or reason for them not to. Indeed, quite the opposite - there are several sound commercial reasons why they should get on with it!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Isaias Tapia
Message 38 of 56 (2,299 Views)

The sp23031 works fine. I'm sure the newer version is not even compatible with the hardware or conflicts with some other driver also provided for the Evo series.

Everyone experiencing this issue, must uninstall the version 7.0 or whatever it is and install sp23031.exe. Or else do like the guy who toss it in the trash and got himself a different type of wireless network adapter.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=hb-13082-1&lc=en&cc=fr&dlc=en&...〈=en
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
geoff snowdon
Message 39 of 56 (2,299 Views)

Thanks to all of those who have contributed so far, however...

OK, so I have installed SP23031 and the BSOD has gone away. Just one minor point, how do I get rid of the Compaq client manager V3.34?

When installing SP23031 I'm told that there's a newer version of the client manager (V3.34) already installed and I must de-install it before the SP23031 version can be installed. When I try to de-install V3.34 using the Add/Remove Programs from Control Panel it won't go. I also appear to have something called "HP Wireless network client manager" and that won't go either. No error messages, they just won't go away.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Isaias Tapia
Message 40 of 56 (2,299 Views)

What I did, was:
I first uninstalled the wireless network adapter from the device manager, then retarted, right after start up, I WLAN200 V7.1... whatever, that, also uninstalled compaq client mgr, restart, install the new SP23031 which installed compaq client mgr back in the system. That tells me that compaq client mgr is essential to work with WLAN200. On windows 2000 the functions of the compaq client mgr was actually that; to manage the wireless clients, on windows xp, it looks like it has no use, but as long as you use your the I WLAN200 integrated network adapter you wil see the client mgr(s)
I hope this make sense and it helps you.

What you probably need though, is to follow the Uninstallation/Installation process the same way that worked for me.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Isaias Tapia
Message 41 of 56 (2,361 Views)

The above, did not came up right I would like to recall my reply.

What I did, was:
I first uninstalled the wireless network adapter from the device manager (WLAN200), then restarted, right after startup, from add/remove programs, I uninstalled WLAN200 (driver)V7.1... (the one that causes BSOD), that, also uninstalled compaq client mgr, then restarted, after that installed the new SP23031 which also installed compaq client mgr back in the system (redundant uh?).

That tells me that compaq client mgr is essential to work with WLAN200.

On windows 2000 (and below) the functions of the compaq client mgr was actually that; to manage the wireless clients, on windows xp, it is the O.S the one that actually manages the wireless clients, so compaq client mgr looks like it has no use, but as long as you use your the WLAN200 integrated wireless network adapter you wil see the client mgr(s)
I hope this make sense and it helps you.

What you probably need though, is to follow the Uninstallation/Installation process the same way that worked for me.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
geoff snowdon
Message 42 of 56 (2,361 Views)

Thanks .
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Ilari Moilanen
Message 43 of 56 (2,361 Views)

SP23031 resolved. My system Compaq Evo N800c + W200 with Win XP Pro SP3. I modified router encryption off and MAC filtering on. Works fine.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 44 of 56 (2,361 Views)

**Ilari**
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your success report.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
crws
Message 45 of 56 (2,361 Views)

used SP23031 with success on my SP3 WinXP Evo n610c, with the afore mentioned W200 affliction. This was in conjuction with an Actiontec GT-701-
WG set to WPA. I reset it to WEP, based on the driver requirements, but that won't stop your neighbor's WPA transmission. My comp works fine in a WEP environment, but was bluescreening from the moment I connected. I think I got 5 min of browsing, and that was it. Re-installed XP, etc before I struck paydirt with google. My opinion is that the hardware is a secondary issue, the firmware is really the problem. Not too sure what to do about that, but obviously open source does have it's benefits & beta testers with relation to issues like this.
Thanks to all the previous sleuthers, especially for that ftp.softpaq. tree.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Adam Banzon
Message 46 of 56 (2,361 Views)

I'm running an n800c with SP3 and had problems with BSODs as well using the drivers from sp29156. After reading this thread, I rolled my drivers back to sp23031 and the problem went away...until I needed to connect to WPA-encrypted networks.

I noticed that when you run the .exe for SP29156, it shows the driver version that it is replacing, in this case, sp28252. I canceled the setup, Googled, downloaded & ran SP28252 and repeated until the replaced version number was sp23031. SP27295 looks to be the first version that supported WPA and came right after SP23031. I ran the SP27295.exe and I now have WPA capabilities without any crashes in WinXP SP3...so far.

I encourage people to try this out and post whether they have the same success that I found. Below is the download link for SP27295:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=hb-1...

I'd like to hear the results from other guinea pigs.

Cheers,
A.B.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
crws
Message 47 of 56 (2,361 Views)

sol here- got BSOD as soon as I tried to connect to w/l after swapping router to WPA. I deleted Client Mgr, and tried just the driver, but still BSOD.
Back to SP23031 for me and my n610c.
The W200 is a usb connection, correct? Anyone think a usb w/l card could be modded for the lid connection? Would remain 1.1 tho. Throughput?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Adam Banzon
Message 48 of 56 (2,361 Views)

Craig, what version were you using when you got a BSOD? Were you trying SP27295 by chance?

To answer your question, the pins under the W200 module are USB. Whether its 2.0 or older, I'm not sure, but someone figured out the pin layout here (near the bottom):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/12244-2-w200-multiport-modification

Cheers,
AB
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
crws
Message 49 of 56 (2,361 Views)

Yes, that would be correct, SP27295, the first WPA compatible, as you noted.
Thanks for the link, I will look it over.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Adam Banzon
Message 50 of 56 (2,361 Views)

Update to my previous post:
SP27295 enabled WPA-encrypted router access on my n800c with WinXP SP3 directly after installation. At the time of my initial post, I had not restarted the computer and the driver was working. Upon restarting XP, I received a BSOD due to driver conflict, ie. W200 driver (SP27295). I have not been able to get SP27295 to work since.

If SP27295 (or possibly any release thereafter) did not crash XP w/SP3 before restarting, is there anyway to get it to not crash after restarting? Are there any driver gurus out there that can shed some light on how this seemingly black magic works?

Cheers
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation