W200 WLAn power-on + blue screen (549 Views)
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 1 of 56 (549 Views)

W200 WLAn power-on + blue screen

[ Edited ]

I get a bluescreen whenever I power on the (multiport W200) WLAN on a Compaq Evo N600c. I swapped the hardware, same result. Any ideas?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Notebook - HP ProBook, EliteBook, Compaq, Slate/Tablet PC, Armada, LTE to Notebook PC - Omnibooks, EVO. -HP Forum Moderator

Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
nn6o
Message 2 of 56 (549 Views)

Re: W200 WLAn power-on + blue screen

Did the W200 work before this occured? Does the error only occur when you press or does it occur whenever the W200 is attached? Also, what specific "Stop" (BSOD) error?

What operating system? If the OS was recently re-installed, make sure all hardware specific drivers are installed, especially the Chipset Support. See my two replies in this thread for a general idea of what driver installation order to use:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1142373

- nn6o

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 3 of 56 (549 Views)

The system boots OK and everything seems to work but when I power on the WLAN (lusing F2+Fn) I immediately get the blue screen, which provides no information except the failure address.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 4 of 56 (549 Views)

XP Home Edition, which I recently re-installed. I have been to the HP support page for this model and downloaded all the drivers, plus the chipset.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
nn6o
Message 5 of 56 (549 Views)

Windows attempts to create a "dump" file when it BSOD's. Look in c:\windows\minidump and see if there are any .DMP files there. If you find any, ZIP them and the ZIP file to a message here - I'll see if there's anything in the dump that can pinpoint the problem. Just include a couple of the most recent dumps, if any.

Also, check the event logs for any clues as to what might cause the BSOD's. Although a BSOD typically won't allow time for an entry to the log, something previous to the BSOD might have been noted.

- nn6o
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 6 of 56 (549 Views)

The (many) minidumps are all 88K, here is one. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
nn6o
Message 7 of 56 (549 Views)

It's a STOP 0x1000000A error. Here's the bugcheck analysis:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.

Arguments:
Arg1: 61565a40, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000002, IRQL
Arg3: 00000001, value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
Arg4: 804dbc8e, address which referenced memory

Stop 0x1000000A (aka Stop 0x0A) is not uncommon and generally due to faulty or improper drivers. Which drivers are you using for the W200? There are two sets, both of which are now near impossible to find via HP's search engine. They're still available via FTP...just not easy to find.

What I would do is to uninstall all traces of the W200, including the appropriate OEM.INF file in c:\windows\inf, then reboot (with the W200 turned off). To find the right OEM.INF to delete, you'll need to open each one and find the one(s) specific to the W200 - delete it and the matching .PNF file. After booting, turn on the W200 and see if Windows goes through the "new hardware detected" wizard. If it gets this far without the drivers installed, then the drivers are faulty (or some other driver/all is causing the driver to fail).

I posted links to the two W200 drivers on the FTP site. Let me see if I can find them while you delete the existing drivers.

- nn6o

p.s. In your next message, post a different dump file - having more than one helps narrow down the issue. Again, if you have a ZIP utility, zip a few into one file.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 8 of 56 (569 Views)

I went into device manager and uninstalled the WLAN (USB) device. I could not find a "inf" folder in Windows. I can power up (Fn+F2) the WLAN now without blue screen but of course it does not function without driver. Here are more minimdumps. Thanks so much for your help. This is interesting for me but I'm sure not so for you.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 9 of 56 (569 Views)

The driver I am trying to use for the WLAN is the one on the Compaq (download and support) site for the N600c model. To all appearances this is the correct driver, but the descriptions are cryptic so I am not sure. I also have the original disk, which when I try to install it says that the driver already installed is more current.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
nn6o
Message 10 of 56 (569 Views)

Ahhh, we're getting somewhere...at least your system isn't BSOD'ing anymore. The other two dumps you provided pointed to the same thing - just different memory locations - so nothing new there.

The most recent drivers for the W200 is v7.86.19.3708 dated 11/2004. The Softpaq number is 29165 (SP29165). Here are some links:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12...

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp29001-29500/SP29156.exe
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp29001-29500/SP29156.txt

The first link is to a support page. The second and third links are direct to the old Compaq FTP site - these links may get broken by the forum software - if so, go to this link and scroll down to SP29165:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp29001-29500/

The .exe file is the actual Softpaq an the other two files (.html and .txt) are the readme.

If this driver doesn't work, it's possible there's something wrong with the W200 or the Multiport itself.

And, going back one step, since this was an OS re-install, make sure the drivers were installed in proper order (as mentioned earlier). Driver installation order is extremely important on a laptop in order to make sure everything runs as expected.

- nn6o

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Mariano Castagnello
Message 11 of 56 (383 Views)

I'm going through the same problem. I've followed all the steps provided so far, but still getting the same result (BSOD). The only "work around" I've found so far is that although I keep the W200 on, I disabled Windows' Zero Wireless Configuration service. No BSOD so far. I've also gone as far as uninstalling Compaq's Client Manager, just in case.

This problem came up only a few days ago in my system, but has persisted even though I have done a clean install of XP. I've not gotten to the point of Windows Updates yet because I can't get past this Wireless card driver issue.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 12 of 56 (383 Views)

I spoke too soon, I am getting the bluescreen again. I have disabled the compaq WLAN and am using a Linksys PCMCIA card WLAN and it works fine. This is not ideal but it works and I no longer get the bluescreens. It is not a hardware problem, I have swapped the Compaq WLAN and reinstalled the drivers, same problems. I will watch here for solutions.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Mariano Castagnello
Message 13 of 56 (383 Views)

Since it's not a hardware problem, do you think it may be a conflict with Windows XP? For example:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1072085

I haven't tried rolling back the driver yet because the new driver fixes problems with the card losing connection and thoroughput inconsistencies. Then again, what does it matter if I can't even use my wireless, right?

How reasonable is it to expect HP or Microsoft to come out with a fix some time soon?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 14 of 56 (383 Views)

I thought it might be a hardware problem so I bought a new WLAN 200. So I have the CD that came with it and I think I will try it with the original driver.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
Peter Weiland
Message 15 of 56 (383 Views)

Gregory, you are not alone!

I am having the same problem with a BSOD when my w200 is enabled. The BSOD says IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I have found that if I go through my device manager in Safe Mode and disable either the W200 network device or the W200 Packet Scheduler Miniport I am able to start my computer normally without the BSOD. The only catch is that I am unable to connect to any wireless network without the Packet Scheduler Miniport enabled so must compute without a wireless internet connection. I've done some poking around and it seems the problem is with the W200 driver in that is basically out of date and unable to handle more advanced networks such as those found in airports. Furthermore, it seems as though the chances of a driver update is slim to none. So, unless anyone can think of a workaround, I think all who are experiencing this issue are up crap creek.

Here are some links on the problem:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/30891380/bsod-when-enabling-wirele.aspx
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?p=3019#3019
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic120047.html
http://www.techsupportforum.com/networking-forum/cabling-network-cards/187456-wireless-card-causes-b...
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
davelissa
Message 16 of 56 (383 Views)

I have the same issue, but it appears to be that the wireless doesn't work with Wireless N. So long as there is no Wireless N in the vicinity, it works.

Sorry, it's not a real "fix" - HP doesn't seem to care about it.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 17 of 56 (383 Views)

Thanks for your posting, I think you are correct. I had no problem using this machine elsewhere but it crashes at home, where I have an N wireless router. My fix as to deactivate, then use an N wireless PCMCIA card.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Jack Riley
Message 18 of 56 (383 Views)

This problem is caused from a mixture of both the W200 card and the access point you are close to. In my scenario we are using Cisco 1100/1200 APs. As long as you do not have the Aironet extensions enabled on them the laptop with the W200 card works ok and doesn't blue screen on boot. However when we take it to another location that does have Aironet extensions enable, we get the blue screen on boot.

Also I have read that some people were able to change the radio modes on their APs to different settings to get it to work as well. This seems to be a very common issue with the W200 card. A quick google search found several instances of other laptops with this card having the same problem and blue screen error message. So basically just experiment with changing settings on your Wireless AP or Router and see if you have any luck. Look especially for a "radio mode" option and try changing that setting.

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Peter Yuen
Message 19 of 56 (383 Views)

I was able to resolve this issue by logging into my linksys wireless router and removed the N-wireless network mode. When the N mode is enabled on the router, Windows detects a Wireless USB network. Since, Compaq doesn't provide supports or driver's updates to multiport W200. There's no way to operate with the latest wireless technology. Hopefully this help. Peace
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 20 of 56 (383 Views)

Thanks, that is correct, but many devices access my wireless network so I don't want to disable N. The solution for me was to power down the W200, deinstall the driver, then insert a PCMCIA wireless G adapter which can be purchased now very cheaply. This laptop runs on G, the rest run on N. Works fine, but after a lot of pain figuring this out.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Dustin Dvorak
Message 21 of 56 (654 Views)

Somebody in my apartment building has a wireless N router. Is there anything I can do to get my wireless working again?
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Gregory Granello
Message 22 of 56 (654 Views)

I think your built-in wireless simply will not work within range of an "N" base station. My fix was to physically disconnect the built-in multiport W200 and buy and install a PCMCIA slot "G" wireless card. This was annoying but in fact you can find one of these cards for $25 and the laptop then works fine.
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
P. Louage
Message 23 of 56 (654 Views)

I have a few laptops and none has a problem using wireless from a Linksys WRT150N with mixed mode setting (a/b,g and n). the proper connection occurs.

The only laptop that will not work is equiped with the W200 and driver 7.86.19.3708. Enabling wireless will lead to a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen.

Since I do not believe HP is still supporting this Compaq WLAN Multiport W200 (old Compaq equipment) here is only one solution if you are using the N wireless settings.

Install a PCMCIA wireless G/N and disable the internal W200 with Fn F2 or remove the W200 option.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Martin Patience
Message 24 of 56 (654 Views)

Hi All
I too am suffering the same problem on my evo n620c, and the only way I can get the w200 wlan to work was to use an earlier version driver SP23031. Using this driver the evo wlan will work quite happily with my new belkin N router but only with 128bit wep security.
When loading any driver always set a restore point first, then check the earliest that will work with your machine and start from there, if it works then update to the next untill it crashes.When it does just power of and restart press F8 load safe mode and when loaded go to restore and go back to your previous restore point. When restarted load the last driver that worked. This worked for me hope it works for you.
All I want to know is why the two later revisions won`t work on my N620c.
Anybody got any ideas.
Martin
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Compaq HP
Message 25 of 56 (654 Views)

Driver sp23031.exe ( Version 1.00c ) with compaq client v2.90 works for my evoN610c too. Seems Versions 1.00E, 1.00F and 7.86.19.3708 bundled with Compaq client manager V3.34 are not complianted. Hope it worked for you too.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation