Re: USB Support for Windows 95. (140 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Julito Macapagal
Message 1 of 5 (140 Views)

USB Support for Windows 95.

Hi,
My problem is somewhat similar to John Hohnson's re: USB Interface. However, mine has something to do with the software, perhaps. I'm using an HP Omnibook 3000 laptop w/ USB hardware port, but my problem is w/ Windows 95 which seems to not recognize the hadrware which I tried to install (in this case, i was installing a LEXMARK X75 all-in-one printer.
Is there a patch for Win95 for full USB support? I tried running a USB verification utility on my system and it reported that the hardware (HP Omnibook 3000) supports USB while the OS (Win95) does not FULLY support USB. The recommendation is to upgrade the OS to Win98, but I'm not ready to do this since my RAM is only 24MB. Anyone has a better suggestion? Thanks & regards,
Julito
the PC is too old. Is there a newer BIOS for this PC that will let the USB port work?
A bios report program yields:
Program: Unicore BIOS Agent Version 2.01
BIOS Date: 10/07/98
BIOS Type: Phoenix
BIOS ID: unknown
Chipset: Intel 484 rev 136
...and, in my world, the PC is called a Pentium Pro 200.
If anyone can suggest how to get the USB ports working, would really appreciate the help...

Thanks, john Johnson
jon404@yahoo.com
Eureka
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
CA538024
Message 2 of 5 (140 Views)

Re: USB Support for Windows 95.

Hi Julito,

I recommend posting this question in the Omnibook area of these forums. Here's a link to that site:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/CategoryHome/1,,410,00.html

Thanks!

Kathy
Forum Manager
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 3 of 5 (140 Views)

Hi JJ,

I've read on one HP forums that the first version of WIN 95 is not supporting USB functions. It's probably true considering the age of this OS.

I guess you could try downloading a corrective patch from Microsoft.com, but I'm not much confident that WIN 95 is still fully supported.

Alain.
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Julito Macapagal
Message 4 of 5 (140 Views)

Hi Alain,
Yes, you're right! I've found the article in HP forum. The patches are USBSUPP.EXE and USBUPD2.EXE. I have run the patches but unfortunately, I'm still encountering the same problem. In fact even before I ran the patches, it already showed that the USB device driver was already installled as what was indicated in the article. Anyway, I guess the best solution sould still be to upgrade to a higher Windows version.

Thanks for the help.
Cheers!
Eureka
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Perignon
Message 5 of 5 (140 Views)

JJ,

Understand your point. Prior to moving to a newer version of WIN, have a look into your BIOS and check whether or not the USB controller is marked "enabled" (just in case).

Some other guys have also experienced success while reverting their peripheric cables from one USB connector to the other (sounds silly I know but that's true).

Alternatively, there exist USB card-adaptors allowing for an upgrade to version 2.

Alain
Frustrations surmounted are paving the way to expertise.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation