SBW-081 on xe4500 DVD Problem (342 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1057598
Message 1 of 5 (342 Views)
Accepted Solution

SBW-081 on xe4500 DVD Problem

Hi

I cannot watch DVD on my SBW-081 drive.
CD Audio, CD Data Reading and Writing AND DVD Data Reading is working perfectly.

I'm running WinXP and updated the QSI Firmware. I also updated the xe BIOS.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks in advance
Urs Scherrer
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 2 of 5 (342 Views)

Re: SBW-081 on xe4500 DVD Problem

Did you check your DVD Region Code in your system ?

Most the DVDs are encoded for play in a specific areas or regions. In order for you to play a regionalized DVD on your computer, you need to match the DVD and Region setting of your computer.

Warning: You can change the region with a limited number of times.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1057598
Message 3 of 5 (342 Views)

I know that the region must match.

The problem is that Windows Media Player says "There is no disc in the drive".

Other DVD Player Programs tell me different Error Message (e.g. "Try to change the display resolution", etc...).

The problem arises probably from opening the disc for reading (streaming?) which does not work.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 4 of 5 (342 Views)

I played with a xe4500 system today and finally figured out what you were talking about.

First, I re-imaged the system with original Recovery CD to see if this is the problem with the original image. I can play DVD movie without any problem and it means the problem you got has nothing to do with the original hardware and software.

By the way, I do have the QSI-DVD/CDRW SBW-081 drive in my xe4500.

However once I performed the Window Update with the latest DirectX Version 9.0b, I NO longer able to play any DVD movie. It fails with both WinDVD and Window Media Player.

I don't know what WinDVD version you got in your system and I expect it is either version 3 or 4. The problem with DVD playback is not a hardware problem with your QSI DVD/CDRW SBW-081 but the problem in compatibility between the DVD playback API and your current WinDVD application.

Since it is quite difficult to go back to my previous DirectX verion after I performed the Window Update, I decided to play with a later version of the WinDVD.

Here is what I did to get it going again:

1. Borrowed a newer version of the WinDVD application from another system with installation key.
2. Uninstalled the old WinDVD version 3 from my xe4500.
3. Installed WinDVD version 5 into this xe4500.
4. Booted up the system.
5. Play DVD movie with WinDVD 5.

The problem of not able to play DVD movie goes away and I also tried to use the Window Media Player and it does not has any problem also.

Apparently, the Window Media Player "must" use some playback function inside the WinDVD and that explains why I don't need to do anything on Window Media Player.

You can try to get a later version of WinDVD 5 and install it to your system to see if you can get the same results as I got. If it is not possible, you may need to go back to DirectX Version 8.1 so that both DVD Playback API is compatible with your current DVD applications.

Good luck.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
CA1057598
Message 5 of 5 (342 Views)

Dear Clinton

Yout hit the bull!

I installed Inter Vodeo DVD Trial and wonder Media Player is running again!

I have auto Windows Update installed which updated and obviously broke DirectX.

Thank you very much for the help!

Greetz
Urs Scherrer
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation