Omnibook 6000 SpeedStep Problem (735 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Alexander Bencun
Message 1 of 5 (735 Views)

Omnibook 6000 SpeedStep Problem

First of all, greetings to everyone, and I'm sorry for my bad English.

Recently I bought Omnibook 6000 (600MHz 2x128MB Siemens SD-RAM, 10GB HDD, RAGE w/8MB...). Windows XP Pro SP3 installed, HP SpeedStep patch, and proper drivers.

Laptop works great but *only* when I disable SpeedStep. When SS is disabled it works at 500MHz, and I don't like it :)

When I enable SpeedStep (or set it to "Performance" in BIOS), laptop boots, i start working something (anything) and then freezes. Then I turn it off and on back again and it passes the POST screen, but it simply won't get to the screen with system information and boot. After POST I get a blank black screen.

What could be the problem? Btw it is not running on batteries as they are dead.

Thanks in advance, Alexander.
Honored Contributor
Mark W.
Message 2 of 5 (735 Views)

Re: Omnibook 6000 SpeedStep Problem

Could be a cooling problem, does the fan run for a second or two when you power on the notebook?
Occasional Visitor
Alexander Bencun
Message 3 of 5 (735 Views)

Thanks for a reply.
Yes it does start. It spins up for few seconds and then slows down and laptop starts booting.
Any ideas what could be wrong?
Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 4 of 5 (735 Views)

With only 256 MB of RAM XP will be extrememly slow. You need at least 512 MB of RAM for XP to perform reasonably. Here is the www.crucial.com page for your machine. http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Omnibook%206000%20PIII/600 You may have a bad inverter or CCFL backlight on your display to isolate plug an external monitor in and then use the Fn and the F4 or F5 the one with the CRT symbol on it if you get a disply the lamp or inverter is marginal
Occasional Visitor
Alexander Bencun
Message 5 of 5 (735 Views)

It's strange that XP runs pretty fast with 256MB of RAM so that currenly isn't a problem.

I don't get that how the inverter problem may be related to SpeedStep problem? I don't have any problems with LCD or external monitors.
Thank you anyway.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.