OmniBook 900 Fan not spinning (309 Views)
Occasional Visitor
James Khoury
Message 1 of 2 (309 Views)

OmniBook 900 Fan not spinning

I have an older OmniBook 900 with Win98SE, a 366mhz PII, 2mb Neomagic graphics chip and 288mb of memory. After about three months of sitting unused, I started working with the laptop again and even though the fan spins briefly at the BIOS screen, it won't spin at all after that; my laptop's even shut off once or twice on it's own due to heat.

Also, I installed a program called "HP Top Tools" that I downloaded from the support page and whenever I open that software, my mouse suddenly goes haywire; touching the pad or the pointing stick causes my cursor to jump to random spots and it also acts as if I'm constantly holding the left button down. The mouse issue only happens when using that software so I'm not so much concerned with that as I am the fan.
Honored Contributor
Mark W.
Message 2 of 2 (309 Views)

Re: OmniBook 900 Fan not spinning

How do you know the laptop shut down due to heat? The 366 is a fairly cool running cpu that may not ever set off the fan on that model. Even though the bottom of the laptop may feel hot it still may not be close to a critical temperature of the CPU.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.