OMNIBOOK XE3-GF REPLACEMENT SCREEN PROBLEMS (1351 Views)
Frequent Advisor
James Bailey_2
Message 1 of 8 (1,351 Views)

OMNIBOOK XE3-GF REPLACEMENT SCREEN PROBLEMS

Repairing Omnibook XE3-GF Model F3955JT. HP PartSurfer indicated replacement screen part number F3925-69004. Purchase several NOS for a reasonable price.

All screens have a waviness when installed. There was no label on the screen as to the manufacturer. Took one apart and it turns out they are Samsung 141X7-124.

The GF Service Manual lists no such manufacturer. Tried all the dip switch settings shown for each 14.1 screen manufacturers and still have the waviness.

Found a GC Service Manual which list the Samsung 14.1 TFT screens. Tried the dip switch setting and still have the problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Occasional Visitor
Rich Savage
Message 2 of 8 (1,351 Views)

Re: OMNIBOOK XE3-GF REPLACEMENT SCREEN PROBLEMS

I'm having this same problem. Did you ever get a resolution for this? Thanks!

Rich

Honored Contributor
Ron Silver_1
Message 3 of 8 (1,351 Views)

See this doc. page 2-18 http://www.martini-man.com/Pub/Manuals/OMNIBOOK/XE3/XE3%20INTEL%20GF%20SM.pdf Bave you set the switchs for your Display?
Frequent Advisor
James Bailey_2
Message 4 of 8 (1,351 Views)

Hey Ron, appreciate your response, but as stated, we have tried all the dip switch settings for the GC and GF models as listed in the manuals found on the Martini Mans web site. They do not work for these Samsung screen monitors. These screen monitors turn on with each dip switch setting listed for the GC and GF models, but they still have the waviness even though they are clear and bright.

Have always preferred the Intel chips to AMD chips. The XE3 came in a GD model with AMD chips. Wondering if the GD machines have a separate video card like the GC models?? Perhaps these Samsung screens are really for the GD models. Have not had time to look at the GD model manual to see if there is a dip switch setting for a Samsung screen monitor.

Also have been trying to find a manual for the N5000 Pavilion series which are similar to the Omnibook series especially a manual for the Pavilion N5495 which was the last one in that series. The Pavilion N5495 is a GF model so it may be of no help anyway.

From some years back, still have a couple of screen monitors for a Pavilion N5450 which do not even light up even though the replacement part number indicates they are the right parts for the N5450 model which is a GC.

Still do not believe that these Samsung monitors are defective, just cannot match them up with the correct motherboards and video cards.

Not done working with these monitors and if a solution is found, it will be posted.
Occasional Visitor
Rich Savage
Message 5 of 8 (1,351 Views)

I'll provide some more information from my experience, and it may help you in your quest to solve this.

I, like you, James, bought one of these on eBay to replace a friend's damaged screen. The part I took out is the Samsung LT141X7-124 and so is the part I got from eBay. When I replaced it, I get the waviness. I've done countless LCD replacements in laptops and have never seen this, so I assume that the screen is bad. I mention that to the guy that sold it to me and he sent me a replacement. That one has the exact same issue. I can't believe that two different screens (even though they are refurbs) would have the same exact problem.

It's not a dip switch thing because the monitor I took out and the monitor I put in are the same.

The only thing that I can come up with is that since this Samsung monitor is supposedly compatible with lots of other laptops, perhaps there is something else more specific about them that I'm missing. There's a serial number bar code on the back of these also (opposite the Samsung label) and on that there is what appears to be a model number. The two I received from eBay have the number LJ96-00147A and the one that I took out of the laptop (which still works but is cracked and is a good test piece because it is not wavy) has the number LJ96-00147F. Maybe what I need is an F? The A's could be for another laptop?

I have some issues with this theory because I didn't think that it would be that picky. But, maybe, in addition, I would need to get the inverter from the model that this came from (if it was an Armada or something)?

I emailed a different vendor on eBay that was selling the same Samsung monitor and asked for this number. The one he had ended in E (which I learned after Googling it, comes from an Acer) so maybe that is the key?

Anyway, I'll try and get hold of an F one from eBay and go from there. At this point I just need to know! Thanks for replying after all this time guys.
Frequent Advisor
James Bailey_2
Message 6 of 8 (1,351 Views)

Rich - Interesting idea!!

The screens we purchased were in HP cases so the inverter was already there. All one had to do was connect it up. There were HP new old stock and should have worked.

Decide to go over to the Martini Mans website and look at the XE3 GD manual. It specifically lists the Samsung screen monitor dip switch settings. See attached.

Currently do not have a XE3 GD notebook to experiment with to find out if they will work with the GD model XE3.

Still believe it may be a motherboard or video card or both solution which is needed to resolve the problem.

What model XE3 notebook are you repairing for your friend?

Occasional Visitor
Rich Savage
Message 7 of 8 (1,351 Views)

Hi, the model number is: F3468JT

Send me one of those fancy OEM screens! I'll let you know if it works!!

:)

Regular Advisor
taggart
Message 8 of 8 (1,351 Views)

Hi guys,

I'm having fun this week-end disassembling an Omnibook XE3-GF (model F3970J) a friend of mine was about to scrap. The screen is a Samsung (part number LT141X7) and the dip switch setting is ON-OFF-ON-ON.
I hope this can help.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.