Re: Need an urgent help from a kind heart (re: USB support)! (172 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Julito Macapagal
Message 1 of 4 (172 Views)

Need an urgent help from a kind heart (re: USB support)!

Hi everyone,
I just bought a LEXMARK printer (USB Interface) and tried to install it in my HP Omnibook 3000 operating on Win 95. My problem is it couldn't detect the printer when I connected it to the USB port. Any solution? Do I have to get an driver for the USB? Someone has suggested upgrading first to Windows XP but my notebook has a very low RAM. I have run a USB verification utility and my HP Omnibook 3000 supports USB but Windows 95 don't have FULL support. Is there a way to install a USB software support for Windows 95 (something like a software patch). Any idea?
Thanks & regards.
Eureka
Occasional Advisor
Brad Ring
Message 2 of 4 (172 Views)

Re: Need an urgent help from a kind heart (re: USB support)!

it's possible that your new printer was made for USB 2.0 and that your notebook might only have the USB 1.0 ports. I don't know much about it myself, but since nobody else has responded to you yet i decided i could at least point this out. check your printer's documentation and if it says "USB 2.0" then you might need to buy an adapter and hook your printer up to a serial port. they make USB to Serial adapters but the last time i priced on it wasnt very cheap. good luck!!!!!
Trusted Contributor
CA691963
Message 3 of 4 (172 Views)

Win95 does not support USB. You will need to get Win98SE or later for USB support. AFAIK, there is no way to "upgrade" Win95 to run USB.
"It is better to sit quietly and appear to be stupid than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain
Occasional Advisor
Brad Ring
Message 4 of 4 (172 Views)

here's a funny piece of advice that might help... but you need an AOL 6.0 installation CD (you might still have one if you're a packrat) and a windows 98 installation CD. when you run the AOL setup CD on windows 95 it will ask you for the windows 98 setup disk and it will upgrade your computer to windows 98 without a microsoft product key. this happened once to my quite accidentally, and after the aol installation my windows 95 system said it was windows 98 and supported things it didnt support beforehand. crazy huh?
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.