Help - can't reinstall serial port on XE3-GF with XP (752 Views)
Occasional Visitor
sdianas
Message 1 of 2 (752 Views)

Help - can't reinstall serial port on XE3-GF with XP

I uninstalled the serial port of my XE3-GF Omnibook (the Troubleshooter said to do it because of a problem with the modem drivers that's since been resolved). I NEED to reinstall it to connect to the internet (I can only get dial-up where I live and need the serial port to make the modem work), but it does not show up in Add New Hardware and the computer did not automatically detect and reinstall it.  The driver, serial.sys. , is there, and the serial port is fine: I just can't install it again after reinstalling it.

The problem is that the serial port does not show up in Add Hardware. The closest thing to it is a multi-port serial adapter, but it is not the same thing!!

Please tell me how to reinstall it, or to tweak the computer so it will recognize it. If I have to go into the registry to do that, I can do it if someone tells me how. (I would back it up first, of course.)

Thanks!

Diana

HP Pro
ironcoog
Message 2 of 2 (718 Views)

Re: Help - can't reinstall serial port on XE3-GF with XP

Hi sdianas, thanks for your post.  You may need to enable the port in the BIOS to get it to work.  Instructions for this and some other possible tips can be found here:

Troubleshooting Serial and Parallel Ports (Windows 98, ME, and XP)

I work on behalf of HP
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.