Re: Compatible Hard Disks for Omnibook 5700ct? (365 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Holger Fraenzl
Message 1 of 4 (365 Views)

Compatible Hard Disks for Omnibook 5700ct?

Hello,
I want to replace the hard disk in my good old Omnibook 5700 notebook, but the mounting bracket only supports quite old disks.
Can you please tell me which disks will fit into the mounting bracket?
Many thanks in advance,
H.F.
Occasional Visitor
James Khoury
Message 2 of 4 (365 Views)

Re: Compatible Hard Disks for Omnibook 5700ct?

You're not likely to find a new drive that'll fit the bracket properly; you'll probably have to jury rig. However, most Pentium and earlier laptops won't support a hard disk over 6gb on their own and might require an overlay software to be installed on the drive.
Occasional Visitor
Holger Fraenzl
Message 3 of 4 (365 Views)

Thank you - so you tink, drilling some new holes into the mounting bracket will be the easiest way to install a new hard disk drive?
I am not afraid of a new - large - disk, I have installed some large disks in old HP Vectra PCs before. As I am planning to install Linux, I will just need a small partition (few MBs of size) at the beginning of the disk to place the boot loader.

Many thanks again, all the best!

H.F.
Honored Contributor
Mark W.
Message 4 of 4 (365 Views)

Almost any 3.5" PATA drive will work with the 5700. The brackets i have have both narrow and wide spaced holes.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.