Re: Battery Question: Do you leave 'it' in all the time? (323 Views)
Occasional Advisor
CA818780
Message 1 of 12 (380 Views)

Battery Question: Do you leave 'it' in all the time?

I've asked various people about this and still haven't received any straightforward answer. I also haven't found any info in any of the HP materials.

Do you leave the battery in all the time? i.e. do you remove it once it is recharged fully and is it OK to work with the battery inside while your notebook is plugged to the mains.

Some argue that the battery loses its power if it is left inside while your notebook is plugged to the mains at the same time. True or false?

Feedback much appreciated.

Kind regards

Sohail
Honored Contributor
Milan Antunovic
Message 2 of 12 (380 Views)

Re: Battery Question: Do you leave 'it' in all the time?

You should empty a battery for a time to time.
"The truth is out there"
Occasional Contributor
Raj_18
Message 3 of 12 (380 Views)

Sohail,

It is good practice, to discharge batteries now and then. They say it improves the life of your battery. You don't have to do this every other day. May be once in couple of months.

Hope this helps

Honored Contributor
Peter Geldreich
Message 4 of 12 (380 Views)

It depends on your computer and the type of battery you have installed. If it is an older model and has a ni-cad battery in it, you have to routinely fully discharge and recharge the battery in order to keep it working satisfactorily.

The newer batteries do not require this routine deep discharge, but should also be exercized in my opinion once a week. They too will deteriorate and in some other threads a 2 year life has been suggested.

If you operate your laptop the majority of time in a plugged in condition you can remove the battery and operate it that way. However, you may find that you need a fully charged battery in an emergency situation (power failure) and find that your removed battery has discharged over time. Therefore, leaving the battery in and allowing the laptop to run on battery power once a week seems to give the best battery performance.

Hope this helps.
Occasional Advisor
CA818780
Message 5 of 12 (380 Views)

Thanks All

What do we mean by 'discharge'here?

Does that mean running the notebook on the battery and using up all the battery power till it gets to 5% or 0% usage?

Honored Contributor
Milan Antunovic
Message 6 of 12 (380 Views)

20%,30%,40%,5% Whatever you prefer.
"The truth is out there"
Honored Contributor
Peter Geldreich
Message 7 of 12 (380 Views)

Discharge means taking the charge out of the battery so that no power is available. Again for ni-cad type batteries this means total discharge to 0%.

Depending on what power management settings you have set up, your computer may shut-off and save your settings prior to getting to this stage, say 5 - 10% depending on your set-up. However, you can normally disable this in BIOS and let the computer run on battery power until it dies. However, make sure you save any work, frequently if you plan on using this approach and be prepared for the scan associated with an improper shutdown.

You might want to mention your computer model number so that members here know what type of battery you have.
Occasional Advisor
CA818780
Message 8 of 12 (380 Views)

Thanks again.

I'm using an XE3 GC and my battery is labelled as lithium-ion.

Regards

Sohail
Respected Contributor
S. Chang_1
Message 9 of 12 (380 Views)

Leave the battery in all the time...

Since you have lithium battery, there is no need to discharge battery... once in a while... I mean a long while... just use the laptop on battery power alone until the computer tells you the battery level is low... this is discharging... and then simply plug your A/C adapter back in to fully charge it.
Honored Contributor
Chris Kucy
Message 10 of 12 (380 Views)

I always leave mine in all the time too. I only use it maybe once a month at most. I personally feel its good to leave it in all the time because it acts as a built in UPS (uninteruptable power supply). When the power goes out, the laptop stays on. Ive been using laptops for over 3 years and always leave the batteries in at all times and I have never ran into any problems with dimminished life or any other related problems.
"File Deletion Is Murder, Hard Drive Formatting Is Genocide" Unknown
Advisor
CA769118
Message 11 of 12 (323 Views)

Does the general discussion given this original question also apply to Laptop 4150 and 4150B. I'm wondering because I have both and have basically the same question.
Thanks Joe Webber
Help
Honored Contributor
Chris Kucy
Message 12 of 12 (323 Views)

It applies to any notebook with lithium ion LiOn batteries in them.
"File Deletion Is Murder, Hard Drive Formatting Is Genocide" Unknown
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.