"Hotdock" with HP Docking Station possible? nc6400 (472 Views)
Occasional Advisor
ahkim
Message 1 of 17 (472 Views)

"Hotdock" with HP Docking Station possible? nc6400

Can someone confirm that the HP Basic/Advanced support hotdocking, which I assumes mean docking the computer while the power is on. My nc6400 locks up or goes to a black screen if I try to hotdock. Tech support asked if I could try another computer or docking station but I dont have one. I can hot undock without any problems.

Has anyone with either the nc6400 or any HP notebook sucessfully hotdocked? Should I return the docking station or computer? I was advised to bring my laptop into a service center, so I might try that, but I dont know if they'll be able to solve anything. Thanks.
Occasional Visitor
Cory Stach
Message 2 of 17 (472 Views)

Re: "Hotdock" with HP Docking Station possible? nc6400

My nc6400 was hot docking until about two days ago. However, now when I hot dock it it turns off. That's why I came to check out the forums.

Like you, undocking works fine. Anyone have any thoughts about making hot docking work properly?
Occasional Advisor
ahkim
Message 3 of 17 (472 Views)

So you were able to hotdock at one point in time? Did something change that you know of? Did you unplug a network cable, DVI, etc?

FYI: I just tried to hotdock my coworkers HP 6320? and his shutdown immediately.

Also, just to be specific, I have an advanced docking unit with DVI, network, and the 135watt smart power adapter.

HP, Please help!
Respected Contributor
Martin Mueller
Message 4 of 17 (472 Views)

The docking station is mostly a pass-through device, but also includes a USB-hub. Have you tried removing all devices/connections to the docking station other than the power adapter and trying to see if it docks without locking up? You may also want to make sure you have the latest BIOS and Video Driver installed.
Occasional Advisor
ahkim
Message 5 of 17 (472 Views)

Wow, great advice. I actually thought of doing that, but forgot.

Turns out it the DVI connection that causes it to freeze/restart/turn off. I unplugged everything and narrowed it down to the DVI. If the computer is turned on after docked, its no problem. Also, if the computer is on and docked, then you plug in the DVI, it locks.

Any thoughts? I didnt try VGA yet but will.
Occasional Visitor
Cory Stach
Message 6 of 17 (472 Views)

I have all the latest BIOS updates, etc... and minimal USB items plugged in, like Mouse and such. Nothing's changed on the system. It simply seems like I've got a 50/50 chance of it hotdocking or simply shutting off immediately.

I do have the monitor plugged into the DVI port, and that's a very interesting point. This "feels" like it could be the key. When the hotdock doesn't work, the machine is off instantaneously. I could see something relatively low-level like a DVI "bug" doing this. I'll try different variations with DVI and non-DVI the next few days.
Occasional Advisor
BR866828
Message 7 of 17 (472 Views)

I currently have 3 NC6400's 2 has the ATI video and one the Intel. The intel and one ATI will hotdock so far without problems. but one of ATI's immediately shutdown after docking it.

Currently running bios F.08 Windows Vista RTM
Occasional Advisor
ahkim
Message 8 of 17 (472 Views)

Ron, I have 2 nc6400s with ATI and both have the problem. It doesnt always shutdown, but over 75% of the time it does.

Are you saying that Vista does not fix the problem? I was hoping it would, by the way, how is vista on the nc6400? Also, what is the RTM after Vista?

Thanks!

Occasional Visitor
Bradley Howard
Message 9 of 17 (472 Views)

Does the system shut down even if you keep the lid open? I've seen similar questions from people who shut the lid then dock, and their laptop was set to shut down when closing the lid (so it was nothing to do with the docking itself).

Occasional Visitor
CA15933
Message 10 of 17 (472 Views)

I have an nc6400 with the same issue. It has the ATI video adapter and am using a DVI connection from a 3-in-1 NAS dock. It will power off (not shut down gracefully) 70-80% of the time when docking while powered on. I've tried it a number of times with the lid open, which seems to give me a slightly better success rate, but not much. I do not have this issue when using the VGA port. It happens with the advanced docking station as well.

Any ideas?
Aaron
Occasional Advisor
ahkim
Message 11 of 17 (443 Views)

Brad, to answer your question it does shut off regardless of the lid, it is not set to shutdown when the lid is closed. This is "hard shutdown" for certain.

Aaron, I dont know what else to tell you. I actually returned both of the nc6400s that I had because of this problem. I hope that they fix it, I'll buy another.

IMPORTANT !!!

I almost forgot to mention that HP did say they were aware of this problem and claimed that it was a faulty power brick, they said that models xx-xxx (I cant remember) were known to introduce noise on the line which cause the shutdown. They sent me a new brick but that did not help. Also, they said that some docking stations also had problems but my dock had a REV 2.0 sticker on it so it was supposed to be ok, i wish I wouldve requested a new docking station as well to be certain that wasnt the problem. I guess its worth asking HP for a new dock and power brick.

Please post your results!!!

Thanks and good luck.
Occasional Visitor
ANDRE SAUVAGEAU
Message 12 of 17 (443 Views)

I have the same trouble with a nx9420 and a S-buy docking station 1.1. Unlike many of you, the trouble happen 100% of the time. A 19 Lcd screen is connected to the VGA port on the docking station. BIOS and VGA drivers are latest (had to update because fn-F4 was not working). I dont know if it's related, but before I upgraded the driver and the BIOS. Most of the time, when we pressed the Fn-F4 to switch monitor, the laptop was shutdowning. Perhaps the pressure on the laptop keyboard was causing a dock-hotdock situation ?.
Anyway, i will follow this thread...

Super Advisor
Samoila Mircea
Message 13 of 17 (443 Views)

you can't hot dock a video connection (alas DVI)... have you ever tried plugging or unplugging the monitor on your desktop WHILE it is running... NO... because it was not designed with that in mind....

you CAN hot dock while on but it is not recommended.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 14 of 17 (443 Views)

Andre,
pls permit my dumb asking:
What's a "S-buy docking station 1.1." ??

Rainald
Occasional Advisor
ahkim
Message 15 of 17 (443 Views)

I believe Andre is referring to s-buy as SMARTBUY, and 1.1 probably means revision 1.1. If I remember correctly, the docking station needs to be revision 2 to be free of the problem. Andre, you should see if HP will send you a new docking station. Please post what they tell you.
Occasional Visitor
ANDRE SAUVAGEAU
Message 16 of 17 (443 Views)

The product number of my docking is EN488UT
Occasional Visitor
greg stull_1
Message 17 of 17 (443 Views)

I have the same problem and I have the current configuration setup. hp nC6400 The latest Bios and video drivers have been installed as well as all other updates suggested by HP.
Bios version F.0B 5 Sep 2007 2.2 56K: 5m 512K: <1m F.0A 16 Apr 2007 Standard Dock/ Dual DVI with 120 watt smart adapter product number EN488AA Rev V2.02 HP service support # 3220341162
The system will either lock upon docking with no mouse activity or the Ethernet and USB ports will not operate.
No other suggestions or ideas from HP have resolved the current issue.I have requested HP to take this to their upper level support.No response as of yet to resolving issue.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.