nw9440 with quadro fx 1500M crashes using windows 7 (5210 Views)
Visitor
mirda
Message 1 of 11 (5,210 Views)

nw9440 with quadro fx 1500M crashes using windows 7

Mine nw9440 workstation with quadro fx1500M crashes (blue screen of death) a lot when i installed Windows 7.

Crashes usually happen during startup (before login screen), and sometimes while using laptop.

I learned that there was qadro fx1500 (without M) video BIOS update mid 2007, which solved some crashing issues of video adapter when using Windows Vista operating System.

Is there similar thing for fx 1500M or does anybody has some advice on what to do?

I skipped VIsta OS, and went directly to Windows 7 from Windows XP, but crashing is quite annoying.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
croquet
Message 2 of 11 (5,071 Views)

Re: nw9440 with quadro fx 1500M crashes using windows 7

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I'm having exactly the same problem as mirda

A month ago all the people from my company had to upgrade to Windows 7, unfortunately I am the only one working with a nw9440 stuffed with a Quadro FX 1500M graphic card.

Situation is terrible, I work with 3D RealTime software and my laptop crashes every now and then, is impossible to work and there is no way of buying a new laptop since this one is great, expensive and is only 3 years old!!

Called HP Customer Service and they claim is Nvidia the one who should be releasing a driver, whereas if you use the automatic driver scan from Nvidia's website it tells you this graphic's card driver should be provided by the computer manufacturer, this is HP... bravo! ¬¬

Since neither HP nor NVidia help I have tried every single driver from laptop2go with no luck

HP provides this which is only valid for HP EliteBook 8440p Notebook PC and HP EliteBook 8440w Mobile Workstation.

Please has anybody been able to fix this?

Thanks very very much in advance

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
SimonMW
Message 3 of 11 (5,060 Views)

I have an EliteBook 8440w (quadro fx 380) that had terrible problems when using the HP provided drivers. WIn 7 x64, and it would lock up randomly, blue screen and generally be unstable. at least 50% of the time it would not complete its boot cycle. I tried multiple versions of the HP provided driver and also some nvidia drivers. What fixed it for me was using the nvidia verde program driver. It is now rock solid.

Don't use the automatic driver select tool at nvidia, just do the manual select for quadro fx series (notebooks) and see if that driver works for you. Info on the Verde driver program here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html

YMMV... :)

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
croquet
Message 4 of 11 (5,049 Views)

Hi SimonMW!

First of all thanks a trillion for your reply! Is great to see people helping and suggesting ideas! Thank you :)

First thing I did when the first blue screen came was exactly what you suggested, access Nvidia Driver Download Center and look for a driver for Quadro FX 1500M.

However, it is not listed, it jumps from 1600M to 880M and those drivers do not work. Downloaded them but the system says it cannot find appropiate hardware :(

Will find a solution!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
mirda
Message 5 of 11 (5,044 Views)

Hello all,

I was wondering if I have troubled hardware since I was only one experiencing this issue. Following mine post I contacted HP online technical support and was tolled that this is known issue related to programming error (bug) in GDI+ interface programming for Windows 7. Also they tolled me that nw9440 hardware was not tested for Windows 7 by HP, so basically the support can be obtained on "best effort bases."

I was tolled to try to install known working drivers (for XP) under Xp mode, but it didn't worked.

Then I was tolled by customer support to take the issue to the next level and contact somebody by phone... I didn't :)

After, I tried different approach:

I installed drivers I had (Vista drivers from HP drivers site for this machine) using control panel, and removed any residence of installed drivers using DriverSweeper software and instruction from this site. After, I installed driver obtained from Microsoft windows update, and I didn't had a crash since (10 days ago).

These are steps to perform:

1. Uninstall Nvidia drivers using Control panel

2. Reboot to safe mode

3. Run DriverSweeper from hard disk

4. Clean Nvidida related stuff (NVIDIA - display and NVIDIA PhysX)

5. Reboot to normal mode

6. Install driver obtained from Windows Update

I'm not sure if it's relevant or not but I upgraded BIOS to newest available from HP site for Vista system some time ago.

I this helps for you guys, let me know if it does.

Good luck

Please use plain text.
Visitor
mirda
Message 6 of 11 (5,040 Views)

Mine joy and happiness was premature :).

I just had a crash after restart:

STOP 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x82E38123, 0x80786890, 0x80786470)

It's really hard to understand HP not to support this (quite expensive and in it's time high end) unit with newest OS Windows 7. I prettymuch doubt, I'll ever purchase HP laptop again (or at least in next few years).

Good luck to you all.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Httpskk
Message 7 of 11 (4,972 Views)

HI,

I have the same problem with NW9440 laptop.

Problem is solved with this drivers for video card:

windows 7 32bit: http://depositfiles.com/files/ctg664lov
Windows 7 64 bit: http://depositfiles.com/ru/files/039dlth4j

Please use plain text.
Visitor
mirda
Message 8 of 11 (4,966 Views)

Dear httpskk,

unfortunately problem is not solved.

Since I installed new drivers (few days ago) and almost everyday I have an crash during startup and sometimes during work with laptop.

To be honest, new drivers increase performance rating in Windows 7 by 0,1 points.

Windows update drivers, however, performs better (crashes every few days). :)

This is quite big mess by HP :)

Bye

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
croquet
Message 9 of 11 (4,841 Views)

Hi everybody,

I have been nearly a week and a half without a crash... however this is because I am not using fully W7 capacities (details explained below), but wanted to share it with users with the same problem in case it could help.

What I did was:

1- Upgraded the BIOS

2- Uninstalled NVIDIA's driver

3- Download latest version from Microsoft Catalog and installed it.

3- Then I upgraded to 259.47 obtaining the driver from laptop2go

Still, some days later I had 3 consecutive Blue Screens on a same day while doing the most unexpected things (opening Firefox, writing code on Notepad++, etc.)

So what I did was disable Aero theme and no more Blue Screens have come for a nearly a week and a half.

I work with 3D software and therefore I use Nvidia's capabilities extensively but, as said before, it seems to be ok (no clue for how longer, maybe it crashes again right after posting this).

Hope this helps to other people who are as surprised by HP's and Nvidia's behaviour as I am

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
croquet
Message 10 of 11 (4,689 Views)

Forget it... it crashed again today.

Only two weeks of normal behaviour!! This is outrageous.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
grandgagnon
Message 11 of 11 (1,564 Views)

[ Edited ]

I was the same problem,

But it work now on LinuxMint 14 and the "Nouveau" driver. Even the Nvidia's linux driver crash and I got a black screen.

So I will stay with the opensource driver, I lose performance, but it don't crash. We are only two choices now: We use it with Linux with a ugly video performance or put the laptop into the trash...:(

My next laptop will don't have an Nvidia card... and for HP... no comment.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation