Re: nw8440 - VT disabled in bios (478 Views)
Occasional Advisor
Message 76 of 244 (444 Views)

Re: nw8440 - VT disabled in bios

Could we possibly have a ballpark estimate of when this will be released?

I am actually very happy about hearing this, and when released I will direct my recommendation to HP again for their laptops.

Thanks guys, for making this possible.
Occasional Visitor
Message 77 of 244 (444 Views)

The code has been updated for all Core 2 Duo notebooks. However, the releases will not be tied together, which means each BIOS will be released at different times.

What about for the nx9420's that are just Core Duo (like the EV268AA)?
Honored Contributor
Message 78 of 244 (444 Views)

Can't predict release dates, it may fail for another reason while in test which would restart the test process of an updated BIOS.

If the CPU supports VT we will support it. I've seen the updates for the 94xx laptops.
Honored Contributor
Message 79 of 244 (444 Views)

Really great, Andy.
Thank you again for your great support.

Rainald
Occasional Advisor
Message 80 of 244 (444 Views)

That's a great news!!!
Thank you very much.

Pier
Occasional Visitor
Message 81 of 244 (436 Views)

It is great that HP is responding to what initially was a deplorable lack of sense on their part. I am very heartened to hear they will enable VT in the future for my HP Compaq nc6400 w/ Core Duo T2500. Let's hope this BIOS flash comes out soon and that in the future they fully support the hardware we've purchased.
Occasional Visitor
Message 82 of 244 (436 Views)

Woe is me.

I have a nx7400, which, coincidently, also has VT-x disabled. I understand that a fix is on the way for this, so this is no longer my biggest concern. What's really eating at me now, is the question of what else is disabled. What advanced features of my CPU have HP been too lazy to test, therefore disabled?

Up until I read this post yesterday, I was under the impression that HP are world leaders when it comes to technology. Boy, do I feel daft now.
Occasional Advisor
Message 83 of 244 (436 Views)

I have been away for a little while but I see that Andy has brought more good news. I will be more than happy to purchase a NEW DV9000t fully loaded when I see that a new bios which supports VT is released. Thanks Andy and HP for all your support and we look forward to doing business with you in the near future.

Keeping fingers crossed,
Mauro
Advisor
Message 84 of 244 (436 Views)

Good to see that customers CAN have an impact. I am very much looking forward to VT support on my brand new 8430.

Hats off to Jana for raising this and being so persistent, and to Andy for listening to a customer complaint.

Regards
Lars
Occasional Advisor
Message 85 of 244 (436 Views)

I have a new nw9440 and I just discovered this thread. I planned to use this for vmware, I did not know HP had disabled VT.

I noticed comments of this being corrected, but the BIOS for the nw9440 is still at 68YAF (7/28/06) so I guess I will keep checking for a new BIOS.

David, CISSP
Occasional Visitor
Message 86 of 244 (436 Views)

I just called HP support regarding this issue. The tech that I spoke with said that he had just received an internal email that stated that new BIOS upgrades would be out towards the end of next week (approximately December 22, 2006). Yee haw!

Steve Shreeve
Occasional Visitor
Message 87 of 244 (436 Views)

Hi all. I have asked the BIOS team to confirm a release date for the non-crippled nw8440 BIOS. (The laptop I have as an HP employee). The BIOS team are stating it will be 'in the January 2007 time frame'.

Whilst I'm still disappointed not to have it right now, I am pleased to at least have it confirmed on the road map.

My question was specific to my laptop so it's possible other BIOS updates may be released sooner (as suggested above)

Thanks everyone for shaking the tree. Clearly this forum has caught the attention of HP management and helped trigger the updates. =)
Advisor
Message 88 of 244 (436 Views)

Just in case anybody is wondering if the newly released F.08 version has anything VT to it - it doesn't. And if we are looking at 3 monthly release cycles (as have been up to now...) we will more likely see the BIOS in March. Personally, I don't quite see why we are cheering along HP on how great they're reacting, for as long as I have to see that nagging message in xm dmesg about some kind of "feature manager" (more like "feature disabler"), I think we should keep the pressure up. I haven't seen any kind of "official" post on this topic by HP (and Andy, everybody says your great, so I believe them, but I have no idea who you are and what your part in HP is...) possibility that by the time a new BIOS comes out it might be time to upgrade the laptop anyhow (and guess what make it won't be) seem quite fair.

A slightly frustrated
Gregi

PS. Merrry Xmas, everyone
Occasional Visitor
Message 89 of 244 (436 Views)

I'm really fed up with waiting for a BIOS (NC6400 bought in september). The BIOS provided (F.05) is totally broken (no centrino support in Linux, no VT extension, a F.03 on the website which transform your laptop not useful (yes it's not compatible with new NC6400 models but it is on the website : I know a couple of guys who downgraded the bios and sent the laptop back to HP support). No way to get a response about all these problems by phone with HP support.

I bought a NC6400 because it has a Centrino core 2 duo with VT technology, and I *needed* this in my job. Now I'm seriously thinking to ask my boss for a new laptop (and trust me I will buy a laptop from a brand which does not restrict usage of hardware).

A really really upset long time HP customer.
Frequent Advisor
Message 90 of 244 (436 Views)

Well, it seems the information on bios updates and versions is sketchy and insecure at best, and sometimes even downright wrong. There's a lot of room for improvement here.

For the nw8440, the information page I subscribe to boasts a bios version F.0E with a release date of 10/25 - see this link: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00797836
However, on the actual page containing the drivers and software for this specific model, the most recent bios version available for download is the F.0D of 9/12. I've actually yet to find a download link for F.0E. I reported this discrepancy on some feedback form, and hopefully someone will notice and fix this eventually. This is actually a rather embarrassing mistake by HP. If the upcoming bios version containing an option to enable VT will be likewise advertised but unobtainable, I will go medieval for sure.

But anyway, the 9/12 to 10/25 interval between versions at least tells me there can't possibly be a strict three month release cycle for the bios.

I can tell you I'm turning blue in the face from holding my breath here. Can we have the new bios now, please? Purty please?

Thank you all for helping out and sharing your views this far. We're not quite out of the tunnel yet though, and let's hope that that light ahead is not an oncoming train. :-)

Season's greetings and best wishes to all!

Jana Persson
Occasional Visitor
Message 91 of 244 (478 Views)

Hello!

Just like the other contributors to this thread, I want to use the VT feature of the chipset in my nc6400. Virtualization on the {desk|lap}top will doubtlessly be a big thing in the near future, and I want to experiment with it using Xen. So, like the others, I am eagerly waiting for the promised BIOS-upgrade that will make this possible.

Happy Christmas to you all,

Eric Jan Malotaux.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not. -- Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra
Occasional Visitor
Message 92 of 244 (478 Views)

I'm joining the pack of howling wolves. VT is wanted!
Occasional Advisor
Message 93 of 244 (478 Views)

An update on the situation:

The new bios update for my dv2000t today (ver F:22) gives you the option to enable virtualization and it works.
Occasional Visitor
Message 94 of 244 (478 Views)

>I just called HP support regarding this issue. The tech that I spoke with said >that he had just received an internal email that stated that new BIOS upgrades >would be out towards the end of next week (approximately December 22, >2006). Yee haw!

So, where does the BIOS for the nx9420 stay??
I think we're now really waiting long enough for a feature, that has just to work.
I don't really understand, why HP locks features.

I bought the nx9420 especially because of the VT features and I'm waiting now since more than 2 months for being able to use it.

Occasional Visitor
Message 95 of 244 (478 Views)

HP VT seekers,

Even though HP confirmed with me almost two weeks ago that the new VT-enabled BIOS would be released last week, it was not released. So, today I called in to see what's going on.

I just got off the phone with HP technical support personnel and a "level two supervisor" (not sure what that means). They have now confirmed *repeatedly* that the VT-enabled BIOS will be released in "mid January 2007". I asked for a specific date, but was told that the exact date is not specified yet and could be as far out as the last day in January, which of course is the 31st. Furthermore, the person I spoke with claimed that no HP laptops currently support the VT extension, which was a surprise to me.

I really like HP and the nw8440 appears to be a great machine, but I am really getting exhausted with this situation.

I asked if there was a "developers' version" floating around or if there are any beta-tester programs to see if there was any way to begin working with VT on my nw8440, but was told that no such programs exist. Argh!

I guess there is simply no option, but to continue waiting another (up to) month for this feature that I thought I was getting back in July 2006.

Fingers-crossed-since-there-is-nothing-else-to-do,

Steve
Occasional Contributor
Message 96 of 244 (478 Views)

Well I DO feel like a right duffer, don't I?

I bought my dv9000t in early November and came across this fresh and active thread soon after, in researching why VMware wouldn't work in 64-bit mode. Since this thread matched exactly my own experiences and my laptop was so new, I actually never checked on the BIOS download site for a new BIOS.

Well, lo and behold, there was a VT-enabled BIOS for the dv9000t, F.06, build date 26 October, (my laptop's factory supplied bios was F.05, build date 2 October), that was uploaded on 7 November. (So there were only 24 days between BIOS builds.)

So, dv9000t users, you have to simply upgrade your BIOS! And it works: now I have 2-processor 64-bit Debian running via VMware under 2-processor 32-bit Windows Vista. Nice. Wonderful work environment.

Thanks HP.
Advisor
Message 97 of 244 (478 Views)

Very interesting, just checked out the release notes for F.08 for dv9000t, and lo-and-behold, really vt is mentioned... which leaves the question on why it is not enabled on other systems... (and yes, I get it, the 3 months release cycle is an urban myth, okok) Still, I guess thats a silver streak on the horizon... or there really is a serious reason why it is disabled on other systems... does anybody actually know what kind of functions have to be supplied by the BIOS in order for VT to work?
Occasional Visitor
Message 98 of 244 (478 Views)

@Don Worden
> The new bios update for my dv2000t today
> (ver F:22) gives you the option to enable
> virtualization and it works.

Hmm... The newest BIOS I see for the dv2000t is ver f.13, which was the one shipped with my laptop. No VT support.

Care to elaborate on where you got it?
Occasional Advisor
Message 99 of 244 (478 Views)

@Tyler Larson

I have no clue what happened to the download on the product page. I downloaded it on the day I posted that reply, but it seems to be missing now. It shows F.11 as current, which is what my dv2000t shipped with. That is just odd.

Either way, I got VT enabled on my dv2000t.
Occasional Advisor
Message 100 of 244 (478 Views)

Try this: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34001-34500/sp34327.exe

It's version F.22 for dv2000t.

You should see the new options in BIOS. Worked for me after flashing it twice.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.