notebook HDD problems TEst status #1-07 FAIL (21922 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Paul Pantiru
Message 1 of 28 (21,922 Views)

notebook HDD problems TEst status #1-07 FAIL

I have a Compaq NX9010 and I have problems with the harddrive. I have run the PhoenixBIOS Hard Drive Self Test, Test Status: #1 - 07 Fail. I replace the HDD with a new one and I have the same problem: Test Status: #1 - 07 . (I could not format the new HDD to install the OS) Please let me know what can I do. Thank you

PS: This thread has been moved from "disk, disk arrays" Section to "notebooks - N-Series, Armada, EVO, LTE, Tablet PC" Section - Forums Moderator
Valued Contributor
Carlos_61
Message 2 of 28 (21,922 Views)

Re: notebook HDD problems TEst status #1-07 FAIL

Hi, change hard disk because its broken, apply warranty, physical errors can not be corrected
Occasional Visitor
ppostma1
Message 3 of 28 (22,021 Views)

actually, I believe the #1-07 error is the result of SMART failing in the SATA controller. That is a mainboard issue, the hard drive may be just fine.

I don't have the codes in front of me to double check.
Occasional Visitor
Amber Gray
Message 4 of 28 (22,021 Views)

I am having a problem very similiar to this. I have a 5 month old Compaq Presario V2000 Notebook that has been running perfectly fine for the most part. I'd like to think I know how to maintain my PC in most respects, but I am completely baffled as to what I did that could have caused this issue. So I will briefly describe the events prior to me getting the "blue screen of death" and this error code in the BIOS Hard Drive Test:

So I went to this party, right, and decided to take my laptop along with me. I put it in a bookbag (probably a bad idea?) and ensured that it didn't get banged around or anything. It sat in my car overnight. The next day I turned it on to check my email. Now the previous time I had turned it off, I selected for it to "Hibernate" itself (could be another bad idea?), so when it boots up this time it gives me two options: Proceed with Restoration Data or Boot Windows Normally... something along those lines that I had never seen before. So I selected to boot Windows normally. It then proceeds with ChckDsk in which it finds many errors in file 308. It finally ends with "Unknown Error" and boots the OS. At this point I am at my desktop, but I cannot use my mouse. I can use the touchpad, but not the mouse. So I'm like "OMG WTF BBQ!" I reboot. After POST it says "Windows was not shut down properly, bla bla bla, Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, etc." I choose Last Known Good Configuration and it runs another ChckDsk. This time it finds at least 5 times the amount of errors in the HDD and attempts to "recover" said file 308, and a couple other things. Then it says it is doing something to the indexes, finishes up, and proceeds to the Windows Logo screen, attempting to load the OS...

But then BAM- Blue Screen of Death, which conveniently displays for about .2 seconds (I counted) and I couldn't read anything from it. So then it reboots and continues this last process over and over and over. I went into BIOS, ran the Hard Drive Self Test and get: Test Status #1- 07 Fail. What the hell does this mean? Is my HDD data recoverable (the HDD itself for that matter?) Would this be physical damage or software related? Am I completely screwed? Will Jessica and Nick ever get back together? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, especially since I can't get a single tech representative from Compaq that can speak English :)

P.S Yea, that wasn't brief... please accept my apologies!
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 5 of 28 (22,021 Views)

Amber,
you might try to test the drive with the diagnostics and repair tools from the drive manufacturer.
They all offer something like Hitachi's DFT (drive fitness test) on their websites.

Rainald
Occasional Visitor
Amber Gray
Message 6 of 28 (22,021 Views)

Thanks for your reply. So uh... yea *sigh* Nevermind... I just discovered a rusty residue leaking from the battery compartment the other day. After being shocked by surprisingly strong static electricity while touching its underside, I was compelled to check out this area of the PC. I think (and this may be just a notion) my problem is going to be somewhere, somehow (just maybe) related to... well, ya know, my battery exploding and all. And lo and behold, the battery packs in the V2000 Presario Notebooks were recalled! :(

Thanks for the help anyways! *runs away crying*
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 7 of 28 (22,021 Views)

Doaes not sound too good, Amber :-( :-(

Rainald
Occasional Visitor
Wang Peng
Message 8 of 28 (22,021 Views)

Hi, I also have this problem. After check in the internet I find it's a "A Bad Sector" couse the problem.
In fact this error come form a DST technology (drive self-test ).

So if you are user of a seagate drive like me, you can download a SeaTools software to check it.
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100...

Good Luck!

see enclose
SeaTools Error Codes

SeaTools Disc Diagnostic may display a variety of error codes depending on the interface and the test module that was running when the error or status occured. In some situations when the drive is offline running a Drive Self Test, the drive will give its own DST result code.

DiagATA and DiagSCSI Test Modules

Short Generic Test ATA SCSI
No error 0x10 0x30
SMART error 0x11 NA
Defective drive* 0x12 0x32
Run long generic test 0x13 0x33
Bad cable 0x14 0x34
Device not supported 0x15 0x35
Drive password protected 0x16 0x36
Shock damage 0x17 0x37
Corrupted format* NA 0x38

Long Generic Test ATA SCSI
No error 0x20 0x40
SMART error 0x21 NA
Defective drive* 0x22 0x42
Bad cable 0x24 0x44
Shock damage 0x27 0x47
Corrupted format* NA 0x48
Aborted 0x50 0x70

DST Error Codes

00 No Error
01 DST was Aborted by User
02 DST was Interrupted by Reset or Power Off
03 DST Could Not be Run
04 DST Failed for Reasons Unknown
05 DST Failed Electrical Element (Read/Write Head Check)
06 DST Failed Servo Element (Track Following Check)
07 DST Failed Read Element (A Bad Sector was Found)

* "Defective drive" and "Corrupted format" errors (sometimes called 03/31 errors) can often be repaired with a data-destructive zero fill data pattern or a low level format. Current disk drives contain thousands of spare sectors which are automatically reallocated if the drive senses difficulty reading or writing. Since SeaTools is read-only (data safe), occasionally a problem sector that has not reallocated to a spare sector can be forced to do so by writing to that sector. Spare sector reallocation is a normal intelligent drive operation.
Occasional Visitor
Tim Shubbie
Message 9 of 28 (22,021 Views)

Hi, same error coming up on boot -HP Pavilion noteboot ze4800. Imminent HD failure. Have ran scandisk, defrag, chkdsk. There were some reported bad sectors on the drive; don't know if XP recovered or just flagged as bad. But after all this reading and checking the HD, maybe its about to crash and maybe not. I do know that certain viruses would lodge themselves on the HD and mark the sector as bad so as not to be discovered by scans. That was the old DOS/Windows9x days. I'm not sure XP allows this kind of activity, but I do know that a good programmer can do just about anything. With that said, I think the SMART has detected 'bad sectors' and thus thinks the drive is about to fail which is logical. But After running a spyware/virus scan on this customer's notebook (I'm in the service biz)she is eat-up with malicious code. It's a wonder the unit was even booting at all.
What I'm trying to find out now is how to reset the BIOS and get rid of the SMART report, even if temporarily. Maybe disconnect the BIOS battery or flash it should do the trick. I'll post an Update to this if something develops.

Tim
#1 - 07 Fail
Occasional Visitor
OTAVIO BORGES
Message 10 of 28 (22,021 Views)

I have the same problem.
I bought the 2nd HDD and the problem started again.
Today (7th march, 2008) I made contact with HP but without a solution.
Don't know what should I do.

When the Windows Vista logo disapper, a black screen came and the system stop responding.
Occasional Visitor
Jessica Dan
Message 11 of 28 (21,456 Views)

I have a Compaq Presario C300, which is a little more than a year old and has generally been a stable machine to date. My computer randomly decided to stop working and all it does now is cycle through the screen that gives the option of either starting in safe mode, starting with last known configuration, or starting normally. God knows I've tried each of these. A friend of mine determined that it was a problem with Windows and not my hard drive - thank god, because I'm an architecture student and four years of projects that I'm very dependent on for getting a job were on that machine (yes, they're backed up, just not to the most recent project). Needless to say, we were able to run Linux on the machine so that I could get everything onto an external hard drive - which means that my hard drive IS okay, but when I tried to install Windows XP off of the disks Compaq sent with the computer it says that it could not discover the hard drive. I've run the Phoenix Hard Drive test and the result is #1 - 07 Fail. I'm currently in a different country from my useful friend and would rather not pay to get it fixed.
Occasional Visitor
sonar patel
Message 12 of 28 (21,456 Views)

I got blue screen and now #1-07 fail hard drive. am using HP pav.. laptop just over a year old. Not happy with HP but now how do i get my data back.
Occasional Visitor
Akarus
Message 13 of 28 (21,456 Views)

Yeah, I have the same problem.

I had my computer freeze up 5 days ago and then unexpectantly reboot. The computer then told me that the file hal.dll was missing or corrupt so I tried to reload it from the recovery disk only for it to give me an "access denied" message.

I ran chkdsk several times and was told that there are too many irrecoverable problems.

I ran HPs hard drive self test and was given error code #1-07 Fail. Now it doesn't even sound like the hard drive is spinning. :(

The bad thing is that my cd\DVDRW drive failed a few months back, so I've been unable to back up files regularly.
Occasional Visitor
hooman mardokhy
Message 14 of 28 (21,456 Views)

I had the same problem with my TX1000 after installing windows 7 beta.
I have solved the problem by connecting my HDD to my desktop computer through SATA cable and using "Hard Disk Low level format tool" ,It took an hour to format the drive but it worked and I did not encounter the problem again.
If anyone could not find the software send me an E-mail at hooman86@ymail.com .(As far as I know it is freeware)
Program name :
HDD low level format tool 2.36.1181
Thanks to folks who wrote this software.
Occasional Visitor
Ben Cutler
Message 15 of 28 (21,456 Views)

Yesterday, my computer would not log on,( when I got to the log in screen, it would just reboot) when I did the Hard Disk check, It said that Test Status: #1 - 07 failed. Any help?
Occasional Visitor
Vishnu Chitrala
Message 16 of 28 (21,456 Views)

I faced with this terrible issue today.
I just returned from a 1 week vacation and the last time I used my laptop it worked fine but today suddenly it started displaying this error "Operating system not found" and Windows is not opening up.

When I run the Hard Drive test, it say "01 - 07 failed".

HP told me to replace the disk and they are charging extremely high price for the new hard disk.

I have given my laptop to a vendor to replace it with a new hard disk.

I want to retrieve my data from the corrupted hard disk and someone told me that I should do it before 2 weeks after the disk being removed from the laptop otherwise it wont work later. Is that true??? Please let me know.

Also, Suja/anyone if you found a solution to fix your hard disk please let me know.

Thanks a ton for all the help.

-- Vishnu
Occasional Visitor
hooman mardokhy
Message 17 of 28 (21,456 Views)

As far as I know ,mentioned software solves the problem.
About removing the hard drive I don't think you lose the data,cause you don't lose HDD data while it does not connect to power source!
I think it is worth it to check the solution.you won't lose anything.

Besides you can save your data before low level format your HDD by using one of live disk open source operation systems like OBONTU or LINUX FEDORA.
Occasional Visitor
chrissimpson
Message 18 of 28 (21,456 Views)

Well i'm another user that's having similar problems to this.

can't seem to find anything that says whether this is a definitive hard disk error, or a main board issue (like mentioned on another forum)

I guess its rather disappointing that HP can't get there butts into gear and give a definitive response to this error, especially seeing as its been ongoing for so long.

thankfully i've a £2o piece of kit that allows me to hook hard disks up to any other pc/laptop via usb and access (where the HD's not knackered that is) like a usb drive

(http://www.usbnow.co.uk/)
Occasional Visitor
Jocelyn Guimond
Message 19 of 28 (21,470 Views)

Since the last week(July 09), i can not booth my HP Pavillion dv6000.

When I run BIOS Hard Drive Self Test I get >notebook HDD problems TEst status #2-07 FAIL <

The reason for this post is to let HP know that their is another of their loyal customer out there that is having that problem.

If any body out there has the same problem, please post.
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 20 of 28 (21,469 Views)

Chris, Suja, Jocelyn,
you are hoping in vain when thinkinh to receive any response from HP in this forum. You ar just having a wrong concept in mind.

This is no place to reach HP. It's just a peer-to-peer forum where volunteers try to help other users.

To reach HP pls use the official support channels.

Rainald

Occasional Visitor
khalid ahmed
Message 21 of 28 (21,573 Views)

i'm having the same problem on toshiba hdd(hp dv600)but the machine still runnung.
any idea?
Occasional Visitor
Thirupathi Anugu
Message 22 of 28 (21,573 Views)

I have Compaq Presario M2000 and had similar issue. But, I was able to solve the issue.

1. When I get the same error on BIOS Hard Drive Self Test, called HP support. They said they gonna charge $$ amount and I do not want to do.
2. I have googled and from many forums I came to know that it is an HDD fail. But it is not.
3. I have downloaded "fujitsu hard drive diagnostics" software and burnt CD then booted from CD. This software can be used for any type(IKE, ATA) of HDD
3. Did Smart and Comprehensive test on the HDD. If you have any issues on the HDD at the end it will display the report and gives an option to fix.
4. Once done, restart the computer.

All the best,
-Thiru
Occasional Visitor
Jordan McFarlane-Beau
Message 23 of 28 (21,573 Views)

i have an HP Pavilion pc laptop, dv700 series. All of a sudden my computer is having start-up problems after I shut down the laptop because it froze, so I was advised to run the hard drive self test. When I did multiple times, it read #1-07 Fail. So the next step is to replace the hard drive. My warranty also expired a month before this happened. The laptop can turn on but will not go past a blackish screen with a white blinking horizontal line in the top left-hand corner.

Should I renew my warranty and then buy an external hard drive?

Does the internal hard drive have to be functional to get an external hard drive?

What should I do first? and what would be cheapest?

Frequent Advisor
J. Alec West
Message 24 of 28 (21,573 Views)

I got hard disk errors according to the online diagnostics. And in chat, an HP rep told me to do the self-test via BIOS. And, on that test, I got the same "#1- 07 FAIL" message.

My system is a Pavilion 8408us. However, rather than go back to HP chat with this, I decided to take the offensive.

My laptop's hard drive was a Seagate. So, I went to their site and downloaded their SeaTools utility. It's an ISO file you burn to a CD - then boot with it. SeaTools runs a quick test, followed by a long test, followed by an attempt to repair any errors it finds. The test found five errors ... and in less than a minute, repaired all five. Afterward, I went back to BIOS and retested - and it passed quick test, comprehensive test, and SMART test with flying colors.

Point is, many hard disk errors can be repaired. Even if you can no longer log onto your computer, a geek shop can run an error fixer utility on your hard drive.

BUT...

If you can still log onto your computer, find out what hard drive brand you're using and visit their site. Most manufacturers have similar utilities to SeaTools. If they don't, and you don't already have the tool installed, visit the Symantec site and download a trial version of Norton Utilities which can do the same search/repair functions:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/downloads/trialsoftware/offer.jsp?pvid=nu2010
Occasional Visitor
Phil Swift
Message 25 of 28 (21,573 Views)

I had this and it was a FP (False Positive). The hard drive was fine but a damaged motherboard caused the SMART data to be interpreted wrong. Take the HDD and plug it in to another laptop or caddy on a desktop and chek it out. YOu can also try a new HDD but this is all just to prove a point.

Phil Swift MBCS ITIL MSPRP
IT Engineer & Consultant
W: www.swiftcs.com

never believe the user, always smile
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.