hp 6910p battery not charging (7918 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Jeremy Brummels
Message 1 of 17 (7,918 Views)

hp 6910p battery not charging

Is anyone else having issues with the 6910p not charging the battery? We have had tech support replace the motherboards on 6 units so far. Is this a known issue or is there a recall on this system?
Occasional Visitor
jean-francois Pelletier
Message 2 of 17 (7,918 Views)

Re: hp 6910p battery not charging

Hi,

We have the same reaction, altough i haven't changed the motherboard. I have notice something weird though, the power supply doesn't seem to give power to the battery.

I'm still trying to figure out.
Occasional Advisor
Marc K.
Message 3 of 17 (7,918 Views)

Hi,

what´s the reason anyway when the battery which comes along with the laptop isn´t "seen" at all? When it´s just dead, the laptop should try at least to charge it, or not?
Maybe something with the battery´s inner circuit?
Occasional Visitor
tanuku babu
Message 4 of 17 (7,918 Views)

Did u run the battrey check tool.run the battrey check tool that tell's the battrey present staus. SP32299.EXE this is the file .download this form hp site and install
Occasional Advisor
Brad Gorka
Message 5 of 17 (7,918 Views)

We've had 6 of these go bad too with power issues. One of them even broke a 2nd time after the motherboard was replaced.
HP has a serious problem with these computers.

-Brad
Occasional Visitor
Andrew Brimson
Message 6 of 17 (7,918 Views)

We have also experienced problems with the 6910p (running Vista Business 32bit) where all of a sudden the laptop will not charge either a primary or secondary battery.

The Battery Check utility suggests you replace the battery but the battery is fine on another working 6910p..

Faulty component inside the AC to DC converter I suggest.

HP support has been extremely slow to respond or resolve though under warrenty.
Occasional Advisor
murda mcloud
Message 7 of 17 (7,918 Views)

Ditto. I have machines that have had mainboard/battery/adapter replaced and they worked fine for 8 months then the same issue. No charging and sometimes they won't turn on.
I am thinking of getting spares just so I can swap hard drives from one to another and have the user 'wash and go' asap.

Be great to see if others have the same issue.
Occasional Advisor
murda mcloud
Message 8 of 17 (7,918 Views)

I have now been asked to flash the BIOS on one of these machines. Obviously I am reluctant to do so...
Has anyone else had a satisfactory outcome on this?
Next step, I imagine will be to replace the motherboard again.
Occasional Visitor
staylorhdez
Message 9 of 17 (7,918 Views)

I am having exactly the same problem and I am still looking for answers.
Occasional Advisor
Chris Ellwood
Message 10 of 17 (7,918 Views)

I have a 6910p that has just stopped working on battery. It is only 2 years old so not very happy about it.

It works ok on AC supply and shows the orange light that depicts the battery is charging but it is not. The battery level on desktop shows it charging but it is always 0%.

It may be worth mentioning that this problem occured after the original battery went flat and I simply worked off AC for many months. Today I received a new battery and the above scenario took place.

Something that is very odd is the fact that the AC power supply is only outputting 15v but it should be 19v? Maybe the dead battery put too much strain on the AC and caused this malfunction.

Chris
Occasional Visitor
D. Louie
Message 11 of 17 (7,414 Views)

Yes, we have several 6910p laptops...and a couple are starting to show signs of not charging (battery packs never get to full charge & the "charging" does not appear in the Power Meter) .....what I have seen is that the Battery packs may be the issue....I have taken an suspected failing battery pack (not fully charged) out of the laptop, bring up the laptop on AC power without the battery pack, then bring up the Power Meter under Power Options....I will then plug in the battery, the Power Meter recognizes the battery and it will start to charge the battery....BUT...withing a minute or two the charging stops. If you pull out the A/C adapter with the battery still in the laptop, you will see the Power Meter go to battery, then plug in the A/C adapter again, the laptop will go back on to A/C power and the charging will again start...but again after a minute again the charging again stops. I have tested my laptop with another battery, that does not seem to be failing, and it charges the battery up to full just fine.....so it is not the charging system.
My guess is that the failing battery pack are putting out too much resistance and the resistance is kicking off the charging system....but this is just my assumption...Hopefully HP will look into this issue further......
Occasional Visitor
Syed Zahid Ali
Message 12 of 17 (7,414 Views)

I have also the same problem with my 1.5 year old notebook.

for this Hp has replaced mother board 3 time as both time the board burnt after getting repaired so don't know when the 3rd one stops...
really bad ...

I think Hp should take care of this as this is a business laptop, may be give us some offer that give it back and get the other model with even some price :)

--
Ali
Occasional Visitor
Yanni79
Message 13 of 17 (6,606 Views)

Just noticed that some HP chargers have a button for charging/not charging the battery. It will say something like "Do not charge the laptop on an airplane." There is an actual button you can press, and it will turn on/off the charging capability of the laptop.

Frequent Advisor
Dr_Ing_Sosa
Message 14 of 17 (6,587 Views)

murda mcloud wrote:
I have now been asked to flash the BIOS on one of these machines. Obviously I am reluctant to do so...
Has anyone else had a satisfactory outcome on this?
Next step, I imagine will be to replace the motherboard again.

If there is a BIOS update the standard line is to update it. Generally there's no harm in doing so, however if the system has a potentially compromised power system (internal components, battery, AC adapter) I would not attempt on an out of warranty machine unless the release notes state that they specifically address your power problems (i.e. it's not a compromised power system, it's a BIOS bug.) You can be pretty confident if the BIOS update will fix your issue, as the release notes state exactly what is fixed/changed. If your issue isn't addressed, you can be fairly certain the BIOS update won't help.

Regular Advisor
Peter Dollar
Message 15 of 17 (6,582 Views)

[ Edited ]

Dr Sosa I have to disagree. Usally it's not about the bios containing certain update addressing problems but that the bios gets sometimes somehow corrupt (though not visibly) and re-flashing it often helps problems in these laptops that do not seem bios-related at all. 

So reflashing the bios (not only to the newest version, but that's usally recommended) is a standard way to make sure this potential source of problem is fine.

Occasional Visitor
lynnevan
Message 16 of 17 (6,347 Views)

After almost 4 years, I'm disappointed that HP hasn't come up with an explanation.
My experience has been like D.Louie: Battery charges up to a certain point and quits. I've seen them stop at 0%, 33%, 55%, 78% and 98%. In my estimation, these are defective batteries.
Unfortunately, we didn't discover them going bad until the guarntee period was nearly over.
Very disappointed in HP's response, since this problem started in 2008?
Occasional Visitor
techinvention
Message 17 of 17 (3,573 Views)

I am having same issue but it could be just simply circuit.  I think there is a problem with the fan placement and it burns certain piece of electronic chip / resistor / capacitor / diode / something to do with charging on circuit board.

The other problem is very high heat exertion from the bottom of the laptop. If I dont use cooling bad, laptop will turn off because of overheating.

Other issues are poor battery life. 

However, it meets the requirement of my use.

lynnevan wrote:
After almost 4 years, I'm disappointed that HP hasn't come up with an explanation.
My experience has been like D.Louie: Battery charges up to a certain point and quits. I've seen them stop at 0%, 33%, 55%, 78% and 98%. In my estimation, these are defective batteries.
Unfortunately, we didn't discover them going bad until the guarntee period was nearly over.
Very disappointed in HP's response, since this problem started in 2008?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.