Utility to enable "Virtualization Technology" in BIOS (5066 Views)
Occasional Visitor
vave
Message 1 of 3 (5,066 Views)

Utility to enable "Virtualization Technology" in BIOS

[ Edited ]

Hi,

We are using Windows 7 (RTM) Enterprise 64-bit and we want to enable the "Virtualization Technology" BIOS setting for all HP Elitebook 8440p and 2540p notebooks.

Setting the "Virtualization Technology" manually is not really an option given the sheer number of notebooks.

I've tried the BiosConfigUtility.EXE, but it fails and returns an access denied, returncode 6:

<SETTING changeStatus="fail" name="Virtualization Technology" reason="SetBIOSSetting: Access Denied" returnCode="6">
 <OLDVALUE><![CDATA[Disable]]></OLDVALUE>
 <NEWVALUE><![CDATA[Enable]]></NEWVALUE>
</SETTING> 

And I've tried the HP CMI method, also access denied with returncode 6:

cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HPProviderUtilities\Sample Scripts\Windows Scripts\ChangeSetting_ClearTextPwd.wsf" /s:"Virtualization Technology" /v:"Enable" /p:"<kbd/>01010101010101"

Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

ChangeSetting_ClearTextPwd.wsf Version 1.0.0.1
Copyright (c) 2007, 2008 Hewlett-Packard Development Company

SetBiosSetting() returned (6) Access Denied

The REPSET utility I've found was from 28-8-2007 and seems to be 16bit, so useless in a Windows environment.

We can set all other BIOS settings successfully except  "Virtualization Technology". Does anyone know how to enable "Virtualization Technology" using a (HP) utility?

Occasional Visitor
vave
Message 2 of 3 (5,002 Views)

Re: Utility to enable "Virtualization Technology" in BIOS

*BUMP* Anyone?

Regular Advisor
topmahof
Message 3 of 3 (4,825 Views)

Re: Utility to enable "Virtualization Technology" in BIOS

Don't hold me to this, but from what I understand, VTX and VTd settings are not exposed through WMI for security reasons and cannot be changed by biosConfigUtility.

Have you tried using the replicated setup utility included in the business desktops bios utilities softpaq?

TC-4400 windows 7 ultimate-xppro dual boot
NC-4400 windows 7 ultimate-xppro dual boot
a bunch of thinkpads
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.