Re: Ultrabook Windows DVD installation (HP EliteBook 840) (1302 Views)
Occasional Contributor
czerny
Message 1 of 2 (1,362 Views)

Ultrabook Windows DVD installation (HP EliteBook 840)

Hello,

I bought new HP EliteBook 840, that is certified ustrabook - it has no DVD drive. The package contains copy-protected Windows 7 and Windows 8 installation DVDs. I means that it is not easily possible to convert DVD to iso image and then write it onto USB stick. Local HP phone support told me that I need external USB DVD drive to install Windows.

Is there any way how to install Windows 8 in 840 laptop without using external USB DVD drive?

Local HP support also told me that starting 2014 HP will distribute Windows images on USB sticks. Is that true? Is it possible to somehow get such USB stick?

Thanks for answers.

Regular Advisor
SSJDENG
Message 2 of 2 (1,302 Views)

Re: Ultrabook Windows DVD installation (HP EliteBook 840)

You can install windows 8 using a usb drive.  First you need to find an ISO image online somewhere.  You would need to look for HP OEM Windows 8 ISO.

I've used YUMI to create a bootable USB using the HP OEM image.

------------------------------------
HP Forums are PEER TO PEER, which means it is not OFFICIAL HP support. Just a community of users trying to help each other out (sometimes faster).

For official support, locate your local phone numbers OR online chat support.

https://h50203.www5.hp.com/wclweb/wclentry.aspx?lc=en-US&cc=US

Note: Official support is available to products with valid warranties.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.