Touchpad on ProBook 6450b randomly stops working (894 Views)
Occasional Visitor
BadCash81
Message 1 of 4 (894 Views)

Touchpad on ProBook 6450b randomly stops working

[ Edited ]

The touchpad on my 10 month old ProBook 6450b stops working on random occasions. I have found that it will start working again if I restart the Synaptics driver (SynTPEnh.exe). It is really starting to get annoying, sometimes it can stop working, I restart the driver, it works for a second and then stops again. Other times I can go days and weeks between failures.

I have tried both the official drivers from the HP website and the ones that get installed if I use Windows to install the drivers, same problem. The current driver installed is 15.0.24.

I am not sure about this, but it seems to be happening more often when I am watching Flash media such as YouTube etc. But it does happen at other times as well, so it might just be coincidence.

I am now seriously considering becoming a Mac user, and I probably will if I can't get this issue solved.

Occasional Visitor
RonaldNissley
Message 2 of 4 (837 Views)

Re: Touchpad on ProBook 6450b randomly stops working

We're seeing similar (identical?) problems on ProBook 5330m machines with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I don't know if this "restarts the driver" as you indicated, but a workaround for us is to use the keyboard to open the touchpad (mouse) control panel applet, and use keyboard shortcuts to disable / enable the touchpad. It's not that users are mistakenly double-tapping the top left corner that disables the touchpad and enables the LED in that corner--I've checked. The touchpad stops working, even though it is enabled. Disabling and re-enabling the touchpad brings it back.

Occasional Visitor
BadCash81
Message 3 of 4 (833 Views)

Sorry to hear you are having the same annoying problems I did. Just to let you know, in my case it was actually a defect touchpad. Since my laptop was still under warranty, I sent it to HP and got it back a week or so later with a replaced touchpad. It now works perfectly again, we'll just have to see for how long though...
Advisor
Rycleve1
Message 4 of 4 (817 Views)

Could it be a loose connection at all by chance? I know small chance and not sure what unistalling and reinstalling a driver would have to do with a loose connection but just thought I would throw it out there.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.