Re: Switchable graphics problem on HP4740s (176 Views)
Occasional Visitor
SlavenK
Message 1 of 2 (220 Views)

Switchable graphics problem on HP4740s

Hi to all! 

I posted this on home section but I was adviced it would be better to post it here since it's "commercial unit" or whatever that means.

I have HP ProBook 4740s  C4Z51EA running Win7 Ultimate.

I recently installed TES 5:skyrim and then problems started. My pc doesn't switch from integrated gpu to discrete graphic card. I have marked the game in catalyst control with high performance,I switched my power plan to high performance and nothing. It doesn't detect it. I have tried to disable HD4000 in system/device manager but when I did that,windows marked Radeon as not functioning properly and said it doesn't have good drivers. After installing drivers,HD4000 was again enabled.  Also,I can't disable integrated gpu in bios (it doesn't even have options for switching graphic cards there).

I have updated BIOS to the latest version I could find (F43 or 46 I can't remember),uninstalled and made clean install of latest video drivers and Catalyst Control Center.

I know G series and Envy series resolved this switchable graphics problem with BIOS upgrade which enabled fixed/switchable graphics in BIOS.

So,my question is,how can I disable integrated gpu and make Radeon my default graphic card? Also,if someone knows how to make Skyrim recognize radeon without disabling Intel HD gpu,it would be great.  Also,why are almost all options in BIOS locked? I can only disable discrete graphic card and turno on/off numlock on startup. 

Thanks to all in advance !

Honored Contributor
Ronald
Message 2 of 2 (176 Views)

Re: Switchable graphics problem on HP4740s

Hi,

If you create a user bios account you should be able to acces more options.

Make sure switchable graphics isn't disabled (this would disable the discrete graphics card).

Other then that I have no clue. HP generally wants to control quite a bit and you don't have a lot of options on business laptops.

Regards,

Ronald

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.