Stylus Support on Revolve 810 (6580 Views)
Advisor
wilkindw
Message 1 of 15 (6,580 Views)

Stylus Support on Revolve 810

I've just received a new Revolve 810 with the executive stylus and I can't get it to work. I'm running our corporate image Windows 7 - 64 bit Enterprise Edition. 

The Revolve seems to recognize my finger fine but I have to tap multiple times to get it to recognize the pen. I tried setting things up under control panel-> Tablet PC Settings. When I tried setting it up for pen input I can keep tapping all night and the Pen Input Screen won't go away. After tapping a few times the cursor starts to appear and sometimes follow the pen nib. Tapping it a few more times and the first paragraph of text disappears but the window never closes. I I do the setup configuration with my finger in four touches the window is closed.

For calibration if I have touch input enabled and I try to calibrate the pen, the screen reacts to my palm reporting that I'm trying to calibrate the wrong type of input. If I ensure nothing put the pen tip touches the touch screen nothing happens. If I disable touch input and try to calibrate the pen, I end up tapping each point between 8 - 12 times before it would move to the next calibration point and I've never been able to get past the forth calibration point.

I'm using Atmel Touch drivers ver 1.7.0.1

I installed Atmel TouchScreen Pen Firmware Update 4.0.100.1189  7/9/2013

I've swapped batteries in the Pen but it made no difference.

I've been trying things for two weeks and I'm not getting anywhere

Stylus input is absolutely critical and I'm not getting anywhere so I'm willing to try anything

Advisor
wilkindw
Message 2 of 15 (6,410 Views)

Update: Stylus Support on Revolve 810

Ended up getting the stylus replaced. Apparently there was an newer revision of the stylus.  The new stylus worked well for about a week. Now waiting for the replacement stylus to be replaced again

HP Pro
soccer_dan
Message 3 of 15 (6,359 Views)

Re: Update: Stylus Support on Revolve 810

Did yuo also update the Pen firmware? Very important

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=5298040&sp...

I work for HP
Advisor
wilkindw
Message 4 of 15 (6,320 Views)

I had updated the firmware already, with one released in July 2013, but I checked the link supplied and it was released 22 August 2013. I'll try the stylus again after I apply the latest upgrade.

I'm still waiting for the replacement stylus, it's been over two weeks, but I have been told that it is on back order. I'm left with the impression that I'm not alone in my stylus difficulties. 

Occasional Visitor
PascalHobadam
Message 5 of 15 (5,719 Views)

Dear all, 

I am in the same situation as you with need for a stylus tha enables to write when using Inking software.

I use our corporate Win 7, adding the fact that I live in Vietnam and HP distributor dont even distribute the HP revolve 810.

Any help on the best solution is appreciated, I will run to buy it

Thank you

Regular Advisor
SSJDENG
Message 6 of 15 (5,694 Views)

[ Edited ]

When you say work well, what do you mean?  Are you able to draw straight lines?  I have never been able to get my stylus to work at a professional drawing level.  My previous machine used wacom and is far superior than this new Amtel one.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hewlett-packard/57307-hp-executive-pen-5.html#post340667

Some writing samples.

ATMEL - elitebook revolve

Wacom sample - 2740p elitebook wacom

I would really like to see your writing samples.

Here are samples from another user of the same forum:

BLACK - Wacom

Blue/teal - atmel

------------------------------------
HP Forums are PEER TO PEER, which means it is not OFFICIAL HP support. Just a community of users trying to help each other out (sometimes faster).

For official support, locate your local phone numbers OR online chat support.

https://h50203.www5.hp.com/wclweb/wclentry.aspx?lc=en-US&cc=US

Note: Official support is available to products with valid warranties.
Advisor
wilkindw
Message 7 of 15 (5,641 Views)

I gave up on getting satisfactory stylus input on the Revolve 810. The unit was returned IT and I'm now using a Microsoft Surface Pro. The Surface Pro comes with a Wacom Digitizer and it performance has been stellar.  Our company has removed the Revolve as a purchase choice for people requiring stylus input but it's still a choice if you're just using your fingers 

Regular Advisor
SSJDENG
Message 8 of 15 (5,630 Views)

[ Edited ]

How long did you have the machine for?  It is outrageous that HP sends a broken inferior stylus input especially when touch screens on phones have better accuracy than Atmel.  I'm trying to get them to fix the problem.

The surface pro uses wacom I believe, which is what HP should have stuck with.

HP Forums are PEER TO PEER, which means it is not OFFICIAL HP support. Just a community of users trying to help each other out (sometimes faster).

Advisor
wilkindw
Message 9 of 15 (5,626 Views)

I spent three months trying to get the Revolve to satisfactorily accept stylus input. I have been using tablet/ slate/ convertible PC's for over ten years and my corporation has relied on my stylus expertise in device recommendations and implementations.

IMHO Stylus input for the Revolve 810 was a last minute addition. It was not fully integrated into the device and only subject to minimal testing. I think the Revolve 810's stylus poor performance in Windows 7 proves this. I wish you well in your efforts to get HP to step up.

You're correct, MS Surface Pro uses a Wacom digitizer  

Regular Advisor
SSJDENG
Message 10 of 15 (5,577 Views)

[ Edited ]

It is extremely embarrassing to see Atmel's writing vs. wacom on the Microsoft Surface Pro. I was able to test it and boy, EVERYONE i asked notices the difference. One person said there is no accuracy (ATMEL/ HP). It is really frustration that finger writing is MORE accurate than ATMEL stylus writing. Anyone with a G1 should either be upgraded to the G2 (pessimistic that it will be marginally better) or refunded. Shame on you HP.

Regular Advisor
SSJDENG
Message 11 of 15 (5,056 Views)

BYE BYE HP ELITEBOOK REVOLVE. HELLO FUJITSU T904. No more crappy stylus writing.

nim
Occasional Visitor
nim
Message 12 of 15 (4,343 Views)

I get the same kind of crappy handwriting when using the executive pen.

I've upgraded pen and tablet drivers, but it doesn't do much to imrove performance.

Is there a viable solution to this problem with the revolve G1 and the executive pen?
Another Pen brand etc?

Regular Advisor
SSJDENG
Message 13 of 15 (4,340 Views)

Absolutely no solution to fix this problem.

Occasional Visitor
BPatrickT
Message 14 of 15 (2,062 Views)

We bought a few of the 810 G2 series as they came out, and this issue has been addressed on the new version . I realize that doesn't help anyone who bought the G1 model, but maybe they will address those now?

Occasional Visitor
Kiwi14
Message 15 of 15 (1,654 Views)

I've got the G2 and stylus performance is poor, I can right click, but it won't let me just write with it. Frustrating to say the least.  I will try firmware upgrades as noted above.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.