Spilled soda on keyboard (227 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Ryan M
Message 1 of 4 (227 Views)

Spilled soda on keyboard

My wife spilled soda on my Presario 1800XL. Now the keyboard does not work. It usually boots up ok, but occasionally it beeps loud and gives a message that key number 42 is stuck. Does anyone know what this means? Is my computer shot? Worth sending to Compaq for service?
Occasional Visitor
CA928536
Message 2 of 4 (227 Views)

Re: Spilled soda on keyboard

Ryan,

Are you able to Explore and or Browse using and external mouse and or keybd? if the answer is yes, then you poshould be able to "clean" keyboard back alive.

I succesfully cleaned my Armada M700 keyboard after I spilled OJ on it.

Remove keyboard and run it under lukewarm water for a few minutes, you can use a toothbrush if need be to remove any left over soda, let air dry overnight making sure that keyboard is completely dry prior to replacement, good luck and let me know if you have any questions,

George Velez
Occasional Visitor
Ryan M
Message 3 of 4 (227 Views)

Thanks for the advise! One question though...how do I remove keyboard?
Advisor
Vex_1
Message 4 of 4 (227 Views)

HELLO RYAN:

Try testing your keyboard using the PC doctor utility.

allprograms/hptools/pc-doctor/diagnostics/keyboardtest

Using this utility will aid you in which key or keys have become troubled.
Maybe with luck you won't have to take the whole keyboard apart, just focus on the troublesome key. (found that a q-tip and a hairdryer worked on an orange juice spill)

GOOD LUCK!
Vex (the Martha Stewart of keyboard tips)
I typed "bring me the finest meats and cheeses in the land ".. and what do you know the search engine brought me right here
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.