Speakers route sound to headphones (IDT driver) (459 Views)
Occasional Contributor
KubaF
Message 1 of 1 (459 Views)

Speakers route sound to headphones (IDT driver)

Hello,

I can divide sound output into two streams, one to Speakers and other to Headphones, but have a small problem:

When Headphones are plugged in, sound sent to Speakers gets played through the Headphones instead.

I mean it. I have Winamp and WMP set to output to Speakers, but unless something already plays in Headphones, the Speakers are "lazy" and send the sound into Headphones instead.

If I play something through Headphones, everything that is set to play through Speakers correctly outputs from Speakers. As soon as the Headphones are "free", Speakers route all their audio into Headphones...

So can I disable this "lazy re-routing speakers" feature?

I have set them as both default device and default communication device already.

Also, maybe its a behavior of Windows itself, since when using the default Windows High Definition Audio driver instead, it behaves the same (although that has only one device so its perfectly desirable).

My setup:

HP Probook 4530s

Windows 8
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC driver

Thank you for any help

BTW the closest thing to a solution is to "listen to the internal microphone" through the headphones. That makes them always used, thus preventing Speakers to be lazy and not play. But I don't want the noise in the Headphones, is there a cleaner way?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.