Slow Windows 7 startup on Probook 4540s after memory upgrade (1808 Views)
Visitor
pfinorbi
Message 1 of 6 (1,808 Views)

Slow Windows 7 startup on Probook 4540s after memory upgrade

Hello,

I've purchased a Probook 4540s with 6 GBs of RAM (4 GB + 2 GB module). I've recently upgraded the memory to 12 GB with a new 8 GB Kingston module (KTH-X3B/8G). After the upgrade the windows startup time increased to 10 Minutes and the performance decreased significantly. If I put just the 8 GB module back, I don't have the performance problem more, Windows starts normally.

I have the latest BIOS version installed (F.31 26 Sep 2012) on the computer.

I think, the BIOS can't handle the memory above 8 GB appropriate.

Is there any known solution for this problem or can we count on a new BIOS version?

Thank you in advance!

Occasional Advisor
Laurent_11
Message 2 of 6 (1,768 Views)

Re: Slow Windows 7 startup on Probook 4540s after memory upgrade

Hey,  I posted the same issue in a different thread. Have you had any luck with this?

http://tinyurl.com/azs4cfs

Visitor
pfinorbi
Message 3 of 6 (1,745 Views)

Hi,

not really. The startup takes still so long, so I use just the 8GB module.

I'm sure, that there is something wrong with the BIOS. If I put both of the modules back, the BIOS shows all of the RAMs installed into the computer and the OS also. And the architecture itself should support up to 16 GB.

Occasional Advisor
Ismirworscht
Message 4 of 6 (1,660 Views)

Occasional Visitor
mihailgreceanu
Message 5 of 6 (1,244 Views)

it s about ''maximum supported memory''. for example when i bought mine it said max ddr up to 16 gig. recently a friend of mine liked my laptop so he bought one lust the same. mine has the intel 3000 +amd radeon hd graphics his lap has intel 4000 and the amd just the same but it's supported memory is max 8 gig and he already has 8 gig. i saw on internet an information about chipset and dram controller. he has a different cpu and i think that may be the problem becouse some cpu s  can't read more than 8 gig ram. his cpu is a i5 3230m, mine is a 2450m

pfinorbi wrote:

Hello,

I've purchased a Probook 4540s with 6 GBs of RAM (4 GB + 2 GB module). I've recently upgraded the memory to 12 GB with a new 8 GB Kingston module (KTH-X3B/8G). After the upgrade the windows startup time increased to 10 Minutes and the performance decreased significantly. If I put just the 8 GB module back, I don't have the performance problem more, Windows starts normally.

I have the latest BIOS version installed (F.31 26 Sep 2012) on the computer.

I think, the BIOS can't handle the memory above 8 GB appropriate.

Is there any known solution for this problem or can we count on a new BIOS version?

Thank you in advance!

Occasional Visitor
mihailgreceanu
Message 6 of 6 (1,243 Views)

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.