Re: Removable disk won't stay mounted (HP EliteBook & Advanced Docking Station) (387 Views)
Occasional Contributor
nakbrooks
Message 1 of 4 (422 Views)
Accepted Solution

Removable disk won't stay mounted (HP EliteBook & Advanced Docking Station)

Hi

I have an 8560P which I connect to HP 230W Advanced Docking Stations at each of my two work locations. The 8560p has an SSD drive and I use an identical SSD in the eSATA bay of the docking stations which I use for automated backups (I switch the SSD between the two docking stations when I move locations).

This works fine initially. After loading the disk it is recognised by Intel Rapid Storage Technology and shown as an "External Disk" within the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app against the relevant port (port 3). I can also see it in Windows Explorer and use it, and back-ups work when instigated manually.

However after a period of inactivity the SSD in the docking station is "removed" by Intel Rapid Storage Technology (pop-up says it has been removed from Port 3). If I go into the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app it reports the port (Port 3) as "empty".

I have to remove and re-insert the SSD to get Intel Rapid Storage Technology and Windows to recognise it again. This means my automated backups always fail (they are scheduled for night time).

How do I stop the disk being unmounted? I need it to stay mounted until I physically remove it or undock the laptop.

I am running Windows 7 and have applied all current Windows updates (using Microsoft Update) and HP updates (using HP Support Assistant).

The SSD is a Crucial M4-CT512M4SSD2 (512gb) firmware version 0009 (I am aware that this is an out of date firmware version and am upgrading but don't think it is relevant to my present problem)..

Thanks

Nigel

Regular Advisor
Nikhil_HP
Message 2 of 4 (411 Views)

Re: Removable disk won't stay mounted (HP EliteBook & Advanced Docking Station)

Chances are that your computer is putting the HDD to sleep after a while or the usb cuts power to the device/s. have you tried to check the power scheme/plan in windows?

HP Service Media Library
http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html
Occasional Contributor
nakbrooks
Message 3 of 4 (406 Views)

In Device Manager, I have disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the Power Management tab for all USB Root Hubs (there are 2).  I have not done this for the 6 Generic USB Hubs as I can't easily tell what devices each one controls - should I do this?There are several other USB hubs which do not have the Power Management tab so I have left these unchanged.

I've also checked the Power Plan settings: USB selective suspend is enabled (both on battery and when plugged in), PCI Express Link State Power Management is disabled when plugged in.  The hard disk is set to turn off after 20mins when plugged in (10mins on battery).  I will set this to Never when plugged in and report back if it makes a difference I think I've tried this before though).

I rebooted after making all these changes.

Also, FWIW, the external drive stays recognised through a hibernation (if it was recognised before the laptop went into hibernation).

I don't know if it survives a Sleep, as I have never been able to get Sleep to work on the 8560p (it can't be woken and I have to do a hard reboot).

Nigel

Occasional Contributor
nakbrooks
Message 4 of 4 (387 Views)

Problem resolved.

The issue was the Crucial SSD firmware.  V0009 which I had apparently has a known issue with recovering from unexpected power loss.  When the laptop slept, or the HD was turned off by the power saver, this was not handled gracefully and the SSD froze.

Upgrading the SSD firmware to 0040H resolved the issue.

Nigel

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.