Recreation of RAID, EliteBook 840 (4469 Views)
Occasional Contributor
czerny
Message 1 of 6 (4,469 Views)

Recreation of RAID, EliteBook 840

I bought HP EliteBook 840 G1 (H5G23EA), disconnected RAID of standard HDD and mSATA SSD in "Intel® Matrix Storage ManagerOption ROM" (http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/rste/sb/intelr_rste_linux.pdf page 26) (entered by Ctrl+i shortcut after POST). After that I can't enter this "Intel® Matrix Storage ManagerOption ROM" any more.

I have selected 'RAID' disk mode and 'Promt Ctrl-i' in BIOS.

Any ideas how to recreate the RAID (pair HDD and caching SSD)?

Occasional Visitor
joente
Message 2 of 6 (4,436 Views)

Re: Recreation of RAID, EliteBook 840

Same problem here... did you found a solution?
Occasional Contributor
czerny
Message 3 of 6 (4,420 Views)

I contacted local HP phone support. They told me, that this is a "feature". In order to get your "Matrix Storage ManagerOption ROM" running again you have to install windows system and Intel Rapid Storage Driver (and of course all necessary HP drives). Such installatin magically reenable "Matrix Storage ManagerOption ROM". They weren't able to explain how and why. The admitted that the "Matrix Storage ManagerOption ROM" is pretty useless because you can manage your RAID more comfortably from Windows RST manager.

I haven't tested these steps.

Occasional Visitor
OKampman
Message 4 of 6 (4,268 Views)

[ Edited ]

You can re-enable this menu by doing the following: create WinPE boot image with Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and RSTCLI.exe (or RSTCLI64.exe) tool from Intel.com. Driver and tool versions need to be the same, e.g. 12.8. Now boot into WinPE, run the tool and type the following commands:

rstcli -M -Z (wipes the array information)
rstcli --accelerate --createCache --SSD 0-1-0-0 --cache-size 30 (creates cache on SSD)
rstcli --accelerate --setAccelConfig --disk-to-accel 0-0-0-0 --mode enhanced (accelerates the HDD)

Check the correct parameters according to your hardware and preference for the mode.
Now reboot and you'll see the OROM again. I hope this helps! :)

Occasional Contributor
GoodUser001
Message 5 of 6 (3,371 Views)

that is very annoying, not only i don't see rstcli.exe available to download, this feature is very not-logical.

Occasional Visitor
dakeiskind
Message 6 of 6 (2,844 Views)

[ Edited ]

I faced a similar problem, and OKampman's post really help.

I have an elitebook 840 G1 in hand. After I format the 30Gb SSD, the 'Intel Rapid Storage Technology Option ROM' is gone and never back even if the 'RAID SATA Controller' and 'ctrl+I prompt' are checked in bios. I install windows8(x64) and IRST, no accelerate function found in IRST UI console, and SSD can be seen as 'pass through' in disk manager.

Here is how the problem solved:
1) download your IRST dirver version matched 'Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Command Line Interface (RST CLI)' at http://downloadcenter.intel.com;
2) read 1.3.2.2 of 'Intel SRT Enterprise Deployment Guide Rev 2.0.pdf' as attached, learn how to enable IRST after the OS is installed by using the RSTCLI tool.

Hope this help.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.