RS232 SERIAL PORT (755 Views)
Occasional Visitor
CA1113437
Message 1 of 2 (755 Views)

RS232 SERIAL PORT

WE ARE HP AUTHORIZED RESELLER AND WE HAVE SOLD APPROXIMATELY 98 NX9010 NOTEBOOK TO ACADEMIC / EDUCATION CUSTOMER. THEY WANT TO ORDER MORE, BUT THEY WANT BUILT-IN RS232 SERIAL PORT OR WITH 16550AF UART or COMPATIBLE.

1. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF NX9010 NOTE BOOK HAS BUILT-IN RS232 SERIAL PORT?

2. IF NOT THAN WHAT IS THE SOLUTION?

THANK YOU
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 2 of 2 (755 Views)

Re: RS232 SERIAL PORT

No serial port. They are rare as hen's teeth on current laptops. My Dell Inspiron 600m does have one but one of the few. My associate/employee wanted to use his cell phone as a modem to get email on the road. The cell phone to computer cable is serial and his laptop has no serial port. I bought a usb to serial adapter on ebay for about $9. Under Windows XP it was plug and play. Configured as a COM port, hooked up the cable and ran the install software and it works like a charm. There are also pcmcia to serial solutions and parallel to serial converters that can be used with equal success. You should be able to score large quantities of the adapters very cheap.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.