Re: Probook 4730s - Intel SSD - Hard Disk (3f0) (774 Views)
Occasional Advisor
rodneypooleg
Message 1 of 2 (781 Views)

Probook 4730s - Intel SSD - Hard Disk (3f0)

Have recently installed a brand new Intel SSD 520 into my ProBook 4730s and now I get issues when I start-up.

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an Operating System on your hard disk.

Hard Disk - (3F0)

F2 System Diagnostics

Now if I remove the power, switch off, back on, F4 to detect Hard drive, F4 to check, cancel it reboots fine.

Now normally I'd think the drive was faulty buy my colleugue has the exact same issue, same laptop, same drive.

MS Windows 8.1 Pro

Intel Core i5-2450M CPU 2.50Ghz

4GB Ram

Hewlett-Packard HP ProBook 4730s A0001D02

BIOS: Hewlett-Packard 68SRR Ver. F.41 05/22/2013

Board: Hewlett-Packard 167C KBC Version 22.25

Drive SSD 520 - SSDSC2BW240

(Original post was in the wrong forum apparently - http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Probook-4730s-Intel-SSD-Hard-Disk-3f0/td-p/3117275)

Please use plain text.
Regular Advisor
SSJDENG
Message 2 of 2 (774 Views)

Re: Probook 4730s - Intel SSD - Hard Disk (3f0)

I had similar SSD issues.  The problem happens when you don't shut the computer down properly.  It causes the SSD not to boot up. 

What you need to do is to leave it on for 20-30 minutes, to "power cycle".

Take out the battery and disconnect the power adapter.

Switch the power switch on for about 30 seconds.

Put the battery and power adapter back.

See if that works.

Here are the instructions from Crucial's website:

In most cases, your SSD can be returned to normal operating condition by completing a power cycle. The process will take approximately one hour.We recommend you perform this procedure on a desktop computer because it allows you to only connect the SATA power connection, which improves the odds of the power cycle being successful. However, a USB enclosure with an external power source will also work. Apple and Windows desktop users follow the same steps.

1. Once you have the drive connected and sitting idle, simply power on the computer and wait for 20 minutes. We recommend that you don’t use the computer during this process.

2. Power the computer down and disconnect the drive for 30 seconds.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 at least one more time.

4. Reconnect the drive normally, and boot the computer to your operating system.

5. If the latest firmware has not been updated to your drive, do so. Go to Crucial.com Product Downloads – Firmware Updates for our firmware updates.

A laptop computer will also work, but you’ll have connect the drive and navigate to the systems BIOS menu. (Please refer to your system manufacture’s documentation on how to access the BIOS.) Allowing the drive to sit in the BIOS will improve the odds that the power cycle will work. For laptops, we don’t recommended using a USB enclosure powered via USB. In addition, Apple users must hold the Option key while they power on the system (with the SSD installed). This will boot the Mac to the Startup Manager screen. The Startup Manager screen works like the BIOS screen on a laptop, in that it gives the drive power without any data throughput.

1. Laptop users will need to be in the BIOS menu, or Mac Startup Manager as stated above. The computer will need to stay powered for 20 minutes. We recommend you don’t use the laptop during this process.

2. Power the computer down and disconnect the drive for 30 seconds.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 one more time.

4. Reconnect the drive normally, and boot the computer to your operating system.

5. If the latest firmware is has not been updated to your drive, do so.

------------------------------------
HP Forums are PEER TO PEER, which means it is not OFFICIAL HP support. Just a community of users trying to help each other out (sometimes faster).

For official support, locate your local phone numbers OR online chat support.

https://h50203.www5.hp.com/wclweb/wclentry.aspx?lc=en-US&cc=US

Note: Official support is available to products with valid warranties.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation