Problems with USB 3.0 Docking Station and 8760w (325 Views)
Frequent Visitor
dtrell
Message 1 of 1 (325 Views)

Problems with USB 3.0 Docking Station and 8760w

HI...is anyone using the 2012 HP USB 3.0 Docking Station with their 8760w?  I am talking the basic one not the advanced one, the one with 4 USB 3.0 ports only?  It is supposed to be compatible, but when I attach my 8760w, and plug a USB 3.0 hard drive into it, I get a "this device would perform faster if connected to a super speed USB 3.0 port".  When I connect the drive directly to an SS port on the notebook, the drive works perfectly and at USB 3.0 speeds.  HP Elitebook support has already had me update the BIOS, Renesas controller driver and firmware and try the original hard drive with fresh image.  Nothing has worked.  They also replaced the docking station with a new one, and it also does the same thing.  They now want me to return the 8760w to have a new system board installed.  I really don't want to do that but I don't have much time.  If anyone could help out it would be greatly appreciated.  Maybe this isn't supposed to work at 3.0 speeds with an 8760w???  makes no sense to me.  HP website shows the 8760w is compatible with the A7E32AA dock I have.  The A7E34AA dock is the one supposed to be used with this, but I believe that the only difference between the two is the basic dock is the same but the 32 ships with a 90W adapter and the 34 ships with a 230W adapter.  I am already using a 230W adapter with the dock, so it is not underpowered.  I am totally at a loss on this.  Thanks.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.