Problems with Beats Audio on HP Envy x2 (4699 Views)
Neighborhood Admin
karlkovacs
Message 1 of 8 (4,699 Views)

Problems with Beats Audio on HP Envy x2

I'm having a problem with my HP Envy x2.

Whenever I plug in an external sound source (i.e. power speakers, headphone or aux to pre-amp) the sound is hollow. To correct this, I open the BEATS Audio Control Panel (Sound Manager), click to turn off Beats Audio and immediately click to turn it back on.

The sound quality changes back to what I would expect.

I've applied all the latest firmware and software patches from HP and Microsoft.

I've tried this from sleep mode and cold start with the same results.

Any advice? 

Thank you,

Karl Kovacs
HP ExpertOne Program - Hewlett Packard
hp.com/ExpertOne
Occasional Visitor
jazzedmurf
Message 2 of 8 (4,640 Views)

Re: Problems with Beats Audio on HP Envy x2

I have also experienced some audio problems with my X2. For some reason, when I play sound thru external speakers, the X2 greatly favors the right channel. I've played the same audio from different sources, and I get completely different results. Right now, I'm listening to music via my Windows Phone and stereo, and it sounds much better than my X2...is this the "hollow" sound that you describe? I'll try turning it off and on to see if that helps balance out the channels.

One, nit-pick Beats aside: Virtual Surround Headphones is currently spelled as Vitrual...

Neighborhood Admin
karlkovacs
Message 3 of 8 (4,626 Views)

I've noticed the occasional problem with the left audio channel. Sound out of the right channel is loud and clear while the left channel is hard to hear.

Thank you,

Karl Kovacs
hp.com/ExpertOne
Occasional Visitor
vinu_666
Message 4 of 8 (4,423 Views)

I also have problems with beats Audio. My speakers plays a cracking sound each time I start a playback. My Left speaker is louder than the right. But the most terrible one is the sound is totally not working sometimes but come back after a reboot... So disappointing for such an a amazing product...

I think I need to take it back to the shop.

Neighborhood Admin
karlkovacs
Message 5 of 8 (4,420 Views)

Have you applied all the latest firmware and software updates?

I did and most of my problems went away. However, after applying the latest Intel updates, my Slacker Radio app makes a loud "PP" noise between tracks.

The other issue I've noticed since the last update is my touchscreen and/or touchpad stop working after I bring the Envy x2 out of sleep.

HP Product Engineers - are you working on another round of software and firmware updates?

Thank you,

Karl Kovacs
hp.com/ExpertOne
Occasional Visitor
Techdude2000
Message 6 of 8 (4,384 Views)

Hey, just got one of these last Saturday and the audio "pops" when it starts to play a windows system sound or a MP3 file. You can't really hear it with the speakers , but it is quite noticeable with earphones or a headset.  I've updated everything on it driver wise as well as the bios update from 2 days ago and nothing helped.  Since the local store that I purchased it from is out of stock, HP support is picking it up for repair.  Not a good feeling about a hardware failure right out of the box.  I'm a line tech and repair these kind of issues daily on DSP audio circuits on products that my employer sells, this kind of thing is usually a solder short on the DSP IC.  I really like the unit, except for this apparent failure.  I hope they can fix it or give me another one that works correctly. 

Neighborhood Admin
karlkovacs
Message 7 of 8 (4,373 Views)

This has nothing to do with the hardware. I noticed it after the last firmware/software update. I hope HP will fix the problem with a new firmware/software patch ASAP.

Thank you,

Karl Kovacs
hp.com/ExpertOne
Occasional Visitor
paddle44
Message 8 of 8 (4,208 Views)

Got the x2 on 3/16. Have lost the audio 4 times. Hp has restored audio by refreshing the drivers/ taking control of the computer and performing restore & recovery/ deleting and reinstalling the drivers. Lost sound again last saturday and spent over 2 hrs. with HP and ended up agreeing to send computer back for repair. Today I was suprised to find the sound had restored itself. All updates including bios have been installed.

I like the x2 a lot but am concerned that there may be an erratic systemic problem. Has anyone else experienced this issue? 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.