Problem installing OpSys on nc6400 with new solid state drive (1701 Views)
Occasional Visitor
bunshekni
Message 1 of 3 (1,701 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem installing OpSys on nc6400 with new solid state drive

I installed a new Vertex Plus 60GB solid state drive in my HP nc6400 laptop, but am unable to install an operating system. I have tried to install Vista Business several times, but just before completion I get an error message "Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware."

I also tried to install Linux Ubuntu and a Paragon backup Vista disk image. In all cases the install goes almost to completion and then the system shuts down.

The computer recognizes this solid state drive and it passes an internal self test.  I also tested the drive by placing it in an external USB hard drive case and it operates normally when attached to another computer.

I also updated the BIOS and tried installing with different BIOS settings (i.e., disabled SATA Native mode) and received the same error message.

Posts on the manufacturer's site suggest changing AHCI settings but the nc6400 BIOS do not have that capability.

Any suggestions...???

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 3 (1,694 Views)

Re: Problem installing OpSys on nc6400 with new solid state drive

Hi:

SSD's are not supported in the nc6400. I haven't heard of anyone getting one (non-Intel) to work.

They have had one issue or another.

If you were going to attempt to install a SSD on this notebook, I would only install an Intel SSD.

I have no data on persons being successful with installing an Intel SSD.

Paul

Occasional Visitor
bunshekni
Message 3 of 3 (1,692 Views)

Re: Problem installing OpSys on nc6400 with new solid state drive

I thought it might be something like that.  Apparently the BIOS simply do not support SSD's.  Thanks for the info.

BR - **bleep**

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.