ProBook 5330m - SED & DriveLock question (405 Views)
Occasional Visitor
nbalay
Message 1 of 1 (405 Views)

ProBook 5330m - SED & DriveLock question

Hi,

I had been unhappy with the performance of the HDD when it was encrypted through HP ProtectTools.

So I just bought an Intel 530 Series Self Encrypting Drive and installed it.

It works really well after a clean install, but I'm having trouble with the following:

1. Intel mentions that the BIOS HDD Password (or ATA Password) needs to be enabled to protect the drive's self encryption key. The drive is always encrypted, but without protection on the DEK, it doesn't really provide much security.

2. It looks like, in the HP BIOS, the ATA Password is called "DriveLock".

3. I see both the manual and the automatic options for DriveLock, but when I try to enable either one, I get the following error message:

"DriveLock is temporarily not available for this drive.

Please power the system off and enter Computer Setup again to access the DriveLock features."

Of course, restarting doesn't change anything :)

Does anyone have an idea as to why I'm getting this message?

Is it drive incompatibility, or a clash with something else I have turned on in ProtectTools?

Not much is written on this. Though I was able to find a few discussions on Intel SEDs with ATA passwords, or HP DriveLock vs. ATA passwords, there doesn't seem to be any information out there for the combination of the two.

Any information you may have to help me out would be much appreciated.

I'm a security professional so please don't be afraid to get technical ;)

Thanks a lot in advance,

Nev

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.