ProBook 4510s TS-L633M dvd read problems (1777 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Hrvoje Poljak
Message 1 of 2 (1,777 Views)

ProBook 4510s TS-L633M dvd read problems

I started to have some problems a few days ago, my dvd rom wont read dvd's, but can CD's i am getting really aggravated with this because i cant find the solution anywhere, and those that i find are all about crappy DVD rom and replacing it, but i bought my ProBook 4510s about 6 months ago, and i wouldn't like to replace it so soon, so please if u can give me some advice or something i would be really grateful. (and even some cd's reads like blank cd's when i know that they are not blank)
Sry if i miss the category im new to this.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
nn6o
Message 2 of 2 (1,777 Views)

Re: ProBook 4510s TS-L633M dvd read problems

Hrvoje,

Optical (CD/DVD) drive problems are often caused by one of a small number of things:

1. Dirty lens - data on DVD's are packed in tighter, so if the lens is dirty, it may be able to track a CD, but not a DVD. Try using DVD cleaning disk, but do so carefully as they're really not designed for writers. Another option is to take a lens cleaning cloth (*NOT* tissues or paper towels!) and gently clean the lens. A microfiber cloth works well too.

2. Software conflict - Some programs are known to add "filters" to the CD/DVD ROM drives. A prime example is CD/DVD burning software by Roxio/Sonic. Often, these filters get corrupted and prevent CD/DVD's from being read. Spyware and malware can also install filters. See the Microsoft KB article here for info on how to remove filters:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Be aware though, that if you remove a filter, any app that requires the filter may not work anymore.

3. Failing hardware - things sometimes break on their own and that's what warranties are for. If you purchased the laptop only 6 months ago, it's should still be under warranty. Call your local HP support number (or visit the store) and have them check/replace the drive. To check your HP Business PC warranty status, go here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/weInput?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

I would definitely first try cleaning the drive's lens - it's the most common problem with optical drives. Then check for filters.

- nn6o
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation