Power-on password on NC6220 (1999 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Tom Chilton
Message 1 of 13 (1,999 Views)
Accepted Solution

Power-on password on NC6220

Hi,

I have an NC6220 that was taken in as seized property. It has a BIOS password which I have no way of guessing and so I need to re-set it. I have tried the steps of removing the RTC battery for 30 mins, reconnecting to mains and turning on but I still get the blue power-on password prompt.
Is there any other way of resetting the BIOS?
Any way of 'flashing' it or fiddling with jumper cables etc...
I am confident with the internals of a PC.

Thanks in advance
Tom
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 2 of 13 (1,999 Views)

Re: Power-on password on NC6220

"Taken in as seized property"?? On a modern laptop the security is pretty good. There is no flash or easy way to do it. If you call HP they will give you a backdoor password if you can prove ownership. If you are a law enforcement agency I assume they would accept an order of a court of competent jurisdiction finding that the real owner has forfeited the property or otherwise declaring the government to be the owner. Short of that the only workaround is to solder a new BIOS chip to the motherboard and reprogram it. Possible but not easy.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Occasional Visitor
Tom Chilton
Message 3 of 13 (1,999 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply... I will certainly give that a try. I have already rang HP once and there was a bit of a language barrier so I don't hold out much hope...

Thanks again
Tom
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 4 of 13 (1,999 Views)

Tom,
according to the "Maintenance and Service Guide" (MSG) the nc6220 still has the old COMPAQ pseudo-security.
The BIOS is reset and a power-on-password is removed by disconnected the RTC-battery.
Thhere is no other way of doing it.

Different, however, if it's not a power-on or a BIOS-access password but a *DRIVE-LOCK.
With the latter, the HDD has to be put to electronics recycling.

What Steve describes is not valid for your model, only for some other newer models following HP's password security scheme.

Pls try it again, and go the steps *exactly* with right sequence.

Rainald

*--- Password-removal.txt
*--- R.T.
*--- updated June 1, 2005

Procedure to remove password on systems with COMPAQ password protection
(following MSGs)

1.) Unplug AC, take out the main battery.

2.) Take out /disconnect the RTC (real time clock) battery for app. half an hour (the period of 5 min as specified in the MSG normally is not long enough).

3.) Plug in the AC adapter (batteries still removed); computer should boot automatically, if not use the power button.

4.) The machine will boot and show the 162-error-msg "system options not set". Use F1 to save the settings.

5.) Shut down the computer and disconnect AC power again.
6.) Re-connect the RTC-battery.
7.) Install the battery pack(s).
8.) Restart the computer.

Caveat: All settings are set back to factory standard.
You'll have to enter a correct date/time and change the settings to your needs.

Note: pls strictly keep to the sequence.
Re-starting with the main battery and or RTC-battery inserted will spoil the job.

*--- EoF

Occasional Visitor
Tom Chilton
Message 5 of 13 (1,999 Views)

Hi,

I followed these exact steps (even left the RTC battery out all weekend) and I still get the prompt.
Don't know if it is anything to do with the HDD, but the wording is "Power-on Password:"

I tried HP but they were quite useless. They will only repair the laptop (and for the cost of a new MB). It is still under warranty but because it is a 'forgotten password' that has caused the problem it isn't covered by the warranty.

Tom
Honored Contributor
Steve Huffer
Message 6 of 13 (1,999 Views)

That sux. I still maintain you can remove the BIOS chip and solder another reprogrammed one on there in its place.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 7 of 13 (1,999 Views)

Steve,
I fully agree.
If unpowering the CMOS the correct way does not work, nothing but a new BIOS chip would work. :-( :-(
I've seen enough cases, however, where users just did not go trough the procedure the right way ...

In the case given Tom did not mention if he had taken out the battery as the first step.
And he only says "reconnecting to mains .." (which might mean the AC-adapter) but not that this was done with the main battery still not inserted.

I'm skeptical because he does not report to have be prompted with the "162 error" message.

Rainald
Frequent Advisor
Arun Prasad
Message 8 of 13 (1,999 Views)

Hi Tom,

There is an option in BIOS called Stringent Security. If this is enabled, then, there is no way to reset the BIOS except for changing the ROM chip.

Regards,
Honored Contributor
Rainald T
Message 9 of 13 (1,999 Views)

Arun,
is this valid for the nc6220 in question?

Rainald
Occasional Visitor
Tom Chilton
Message 10 of 13 (1,999 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for all the help again.

I have definitely followed the instructions (again and again and again...) absolutely to the letter, making sure I connect straight to the mains without replacing either battery etc etc.

If I were to go down the route of replacing the BIOS chip (stretching my expertise, but there's nothing to lose), can anybody point me in the right direction, ie which chip to get and from where?

Thanks again,
Tom
Respected Contributor
Alex woonings
Message 11 of 13 (1,726 Views)

Hey Tom

Don't even try it :)

You need special tools and some skills

to remove that chip. (and place one back)

Stringent Security ???

Never heard off, what is this ??

Alex
Occasional Visitor
Glenn Svendberg
Message 12 of 13 (1,726 Views)

We support about 6000 users nationwide at my company
We are having this issue on a few of our nc6220 laptops. We have tried the fix to clear the BIOS as suggested in manual called HP support and got no results. We currently have 240 nc6220 laptops still under warranty in our environment; Since HP does not have a proper fix for this issue we are going to assume these models have a pre existing defect and will be returning the nc6220 still under warranty as defective.
Itâ s not worth the cost in down time especially to our remote users.
Frequent Advisor
AdamJGreenberg
Message 13 of 13 (1,726 Views)

Glenn,

As an IT admin myself, why dont YOU assign a corporate bios password before giving the units to your users. That way, the user cannot "lock" the laptop bios and render the unit DOA.

I have personally cleared NC6230's of power on passwords and had no problems.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.