Pavilion dv7-6157cl........Cannot turn on wireless capability. Old man needs help. (702 Views)
Collector
Loy Banks
Message 1 of 5 (702 Views)

Pavilion dv7-6157cl........Cannot turn on wireless capability. Old man needs help.

A couple days ago I installed Windows 8 by a "clean install". Formally had Windows 7 on original HP Pavilion dv7-6157cl. The WIFI was working in Windows 7. Now with Windows 8 the WIFI is not working at all. The message I'm getting from Networking Diagnostics is that I need to turn on the Wireless Capabilty in my machine. I have tried to turn on by way of Fn and F12 but that doesn't work. I've tried F12 by itself. That doesn't work. I just spent two hours on line with Microsoft and we checked out all software issues. No problems with any of the software. So it comes down to Turning On The Wireless Capabilty, which I can't seem to accomplish. So can the turn on be accomplished in some special way? Or do I maybe need a new internal card to fix this issue? I'm getting to my wits end with this. Can you help here?

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 5 (700 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7-6157cl........Cannot turn on wireless capability. Old man needs help.

Collector
Loy Banks
Message 3 of 5 (694 Views)

Re: Pavilion dv7-6157cl........Cannot turn on wireless capability. Old man needs help.

Thanks for the link. I did install the HP Quick Launch System from that link. When I use Fn + Esc it does bring up the System Info for the machine.

However using Fn + F12 or F12 by itself does nothing. The Wireless LED only shows Amber, meaning NO WIFI. I keep hoping for the White LED, but so far nothing. Do I need to turn on the device maybe from services.msc? What might the service be named or called? 

Are there other checks I should know about with the HP Quick Launch? Any more ideas from anyone concerning waking up the WIFI in this machine? I appreciate all input...

I'm still wondering if I might have a bad internal card. But then I know the WIFI was working with Windows 7, before the Windows 8 Clean install.

Still Needing help. Thanks.

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 5 (690 Views)

Hi:

Sorry that didn't work.

I highly doubt the card went bad all of a sudden. Too coincidental.

I just don't know what the problem could be though.

I'm assuming that the wireless card's drivers are installed?

Check the device manager, and if you see a network controller listed with a little yellow ! mark, that means the drivers are not installed, which is why the card isn't connecting and the light is amber.

If you find that to be the case. Click on that device and post the hardware ID for it.  If you don't know how to do that, please read the info at the link below.

http://www.devicedriverfinder.com/blog/device-drivers/how-to-check-the-hardware-id-for-a-windows-dev...

Paul

Collector
Loy Banks
Message 5 of 5 (688 Views)

Sorry I should have mentioned that earlier. The 3 Network Drivers are in place and all are indicated as working.

As for the Laptop in question that is RaLink RT5390-802.11 b/g/n dtd 9/7/2012 Ver 5.0.3.0

So still looking for ideas. I may have to go to HP and pay their exhorbitant out-of-warranty price for help.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.