NW8440 Internal Microphone problem (186 Views)
Respected Contributor
Brad McCusker
Message 1 of 6 (186 Views)

NW8440 Internal Microphone problem

[ Edited ]

Hello,

A collegue an I both have NW8440 laptops and we both experience a similar set of problems.

1. Our internal microphones seem to hear (or maybe they create) a subtle background noise that has been described as sounding lik a baby's rattle or perhaps a rat in a cage. Actually, Ithink it's picking up noise from disk access, but, I can't prove that.

2. Our internal microphones do not seem capable of being turned off. To circumvent problem #1 we've tried to use external microphones, but, that doesn't help. Further experimentation seems to have proven that the internal microphone never gets shut off, even if there is an external microphone connected.

Anyone hear of these problems? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Brad

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards > Windows based to Notebook - HP ProBook, EliteBook, Compaq, Slate/Tablet PC, Armada, LTE. - Hp Forum Moderator

Occasional Visitor
Michael Merriam
Message 2 of 6 (186 Views)

Re: NW8440 Internal Microphone problem

Brad,

I was happy to see your post, hopefully you've come up with a solution in the past week. I am encountering the same problem.

I just rented six 8440 systems to do some conference AV recording. I have used other HP models in the past with no problem, but cannot figure out how to disable the internal mic on this one. When I connect external mic, both work, but that is certainly not ideal. Have you figured anything out? Please reply if you can. I need to get this figured out by Wednesday night!

Thanks,
Michael
Respected Contributor
Brad McCusker
Message 3 of 6 (186 Views)

A colleague with the same laptop fixed his problem as described below. Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Brad McCusker

The following drives seem to resolve the problem with the internal microphone not disconnecting when an external microphone is connected:

BIOS:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Universal Audio

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Audio (Soundmax)

I installed the drivers in the order listed above and rebooted after the BIOS update.

I'm not sure if the Universal Audio update did anything or not...but I went through the steps.
Respected Contributor
Brad McCusker
Message 4 of 6 (186 Views)

PS: I haven't had a chance to try the fixes on my laptop, yet.
Occasional Visitor
Michael Merriam
Message 5 of 6 (186 Views)

Brad,

Re: Problem #2

After 4 hours of troubleshooting I broke down and called HP support. At first they were giving me run of the mill solutions which I'd already tried, but then we mutually came to the decision that I should try some driver updates. Whaddya know, it worked! Try downloading and installing the most recent SoundMAX driver from the nw8440 support pages. File name is sp32646.exe.

Your problem #1 I've come across on some other systems as well and have yet to resolve. I'm finding it more and more common as more CPU power and bigger, faster hard drives are being packed into tighter spaces. Let me know if you discover anything else on that front. I don't think I'm having that problem with the 8440 yet. A good thing to always try is lifting the ground on the AC plug (an $0.80 grounding adapter from the hardware store is all it takes). Doesn't always work, but might help somewhat.

Michael
Occasional Visitor
Michael Merriam
Message 6 of 6 (186 Views)

wow, you were quick to reply. Anyway, looks like we both found the solution. You can ignore the voicemails I left you at work (sorry, I was desperate and tracked you down :)

Michael
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.