est
Occasional Contributor
est
Message 1 of 1 (60 Views)

NCQ, NCQ, NCQ for nx7400

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same problem with this post
--------------------quote------------------

This happens on a HP NX7400 Laptop (BIOS F0.C – latest update) based on an Intel 945GM chipset (82801GBM –ICH7-M) and aHDD FUJITSU MHV2060BH PL (SATA,60 Gb, 5400RPM, 8Mb Cache).
On the FUJITSU site for the MHV2060BH HDD model (no PL at the end) there is written:
- Serial ATA (SATA) enables the high-speed transfer of data (1.5Gb/s), outstripping older, 16-bit parallel bus technology
- Features Native Command Queuing (NCQ), which simultaneously coordinates up to 32 instructions to be queued and reordered by the hard-disk controller

AHCI is active in BIOS settings (“SATA Native Mode:Enable”), the OS is WindowsXP PRO SP2 (installed with SATA drivers).
The latest chipset drivers si Intel Matrix Storage Manager are installed.
Device Manager\IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers lists:
- Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers – 27DF
- Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
- Primary IDE Channel

The problem is that even though AHCI is active, the Intel Matrix Storage Console states “Native Command Queuing Support : NO” (although supported by the HDD).
Also, both Sandra and Astra32 report the HDD transfer mode: UDMA-5 (ATA 100).
I ran a test with HD Tune 2.54 and the results are normal for this model of HDD (Transfer rate m/M/A 19.8/40.6/32.1, Acces time 17.6, Burst rate 68,5, CPU Usage 2.7%).
I still don’t understand why the HDD is reported as ATA and not SATA, and why Native Command Queuing is not enabled. I hope for some kind of clearing for this because googleing was a dead end.
Thank you.

-----------------EOF---------------

So I tried every means to install drivers, but neither Everest nor HDTune says my NCQ is enabled.

So why does HP disable my HDD NCQ ??????

P.S. This thread has been moved from Archived Desktops and Workstations Boards>Windows based to Notebook - HP ProBook, EliteBook, Compaq, Slate/Tablet PC, Armada, LTE. -HP Forum Moderator

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.