NC6000 - WinXP reinstall - what is best order for installing drivers? (301 Views)
Occasional Visitor
Message 1 of 10 (301 Views)

NC6000 - WinXP reinstall - what is best order for installing drivers?

I have obtained an HP Compaq NC6000 that has a crashed hard drive. I am going to replace the drive and reinstall WinXP. On the Compaq support site, there is a long list of drivers and support utilities (Intel Chipset, System Software Manager, System Enhancements, ...). After I have installed XP, is there a best sequence to install the various utilities and drivers? Are there utilities that don't need to be installed? Also, is there a way to tell whether I have an ATI or Intel Graphics adapter, or an Intel or Broadcom network adapter?

Thanks in advance.
Honored Contributor
Message 2 of 10 (301 Views)

Re: NC6000 - WinXP reinstall - what is best order for installing drivers?

Harry you have come to the right place. I have probably installed XP on 30 or 40 nc6000s. Put on XP then any Microsoft Service Pack you may need, then the Intel chipset driver. From there, the order is not too important, but I tend to do audio, then video then network then everything else. To find out if you have Broadcom or Intel wifi first look to see if there is a Centrino case badge. If there is, then you have Intel wireless by definition. If there is a Pentium-M case badge, you have Broadcom. You can also check the device manager for the wireless and video before you have installed the drivers and right click for properties of the devices and then details. Cut and paste the string of characters you see in the details here and we can tell you which devices you have. Install the security sofpaqs last. You have to install the HP ProtectTools Security Manager (sp30991.exe) first among the security "drivers", then the rest can be installed in any order. The nc6000 takes a lot of driver files, well over 20 the last time I counted. You do need them all but look carefully for duplications and for them just install the latest version. The best thing is to download all of them ahead of time and burn them to a CD or put them all on a thumb drive.
"When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras"
Occasional Visitor
Message 3 of 10 (301 Views)

Hi Steve (and anyone else reading this) --

Thanks for your reply -- excellent information. The reinstall is almost complete; I still have one issue -- the wireless adapter is still not listed, and there is one "other device - listed as "Base System Device". I assume this is the wireless adapter, and I just have to install the correct driver. Here is the Device ID for this device:

PCI\VEN_1217&DEV_7110&SUBSYS_0890103C&REV_00\4&16793A72&0&32F0

Can you identify which device this refers to? I tried to install the Broadcom driver, but it did not seem to take. (The label on the computer is Pentium M, not Centrino). There are three different versions of the Broadcom driver on the support download page; there is also a driver for an HP WLAN W400-W500. Please let me know which driver I should download and install. Again, thanks in advance.
Occasional Visitor
Message 4 of 10 (301 Views)

One more quick question - there is a download titled "System Enhancements Disk for Windows XP Service Pack 2." I have already installed SP3 on this system. Can I install the Enhancements disk now, or must I uninstall SP3 (which should leave SP2 intact), then install the Enhancements for SP2, and then reinstall SP3?

Honored Contributor
Message 5 of 10 (301 Views)

The Base System device is the O2 Micro cardbus controller aka the card reader. There are 2 O2 Micro drivers down near the bottom of the list here, and you need both of them:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=367369&p...

You need the latest Broadcom Wireless LAN driver at the top of the network driver list. I have run across more than a few nc6000s that are missing the mini-pci wireless card. If you do not have 2 devices listed under network controllers in device manager you may be in the same boat. There is a trap door on the bottom that holds the mini-pci wireless card. If the slot is empty you are going to have to get a wireless card for it. It has to be a certain kind or the system will not boot. You can find them on eBay if needed. Post back with any more questions.
Honored Contributor
Message 6 of 10 (301 Views)

And you can go ahead and install the system enhancement disk for SP2 even though you have SP3. There are a few non-Microsoft files in there and it will just not install anything that is already on the system.
Honored Contributor
Message 7 of 10 (301 Views)

One more thing. Make sure the wireless is enabled in the BIOS setup and you turn on the wireless hardware switch.
Occasional Visitor
Message 8 of 10 (301 Views)

Steve -- Thanks again. DL'd the two O2Micro Drivers and installed them -- voila, no more Other Devices.

And sure enough, I opened the door on the bottom of the system -- no wireless card. I will check on eBay to see what the going rate for the specific card is. If I understand what you wrote, it must be a specific model adapter and not a generic card, correct?

Thanks again -- I will certainly assign you max pointage.
Occasional Visitor
Message 9 of 10 (301 Views)

Thanks again for all the information. One note -- when I tried to install the System Enhancements Tool, a message popped up to the effect of "You must install SP2 first." I guess that SP3 must have changed whatever indicator was being used by the Tool, so I was not able to install it.

I have given the system back to my cousin, so it will stay as it is now. But I was wondering, what features would the System Enhancement Tool add that this system now won't have?
Occasional Visitor
Message 10 of 10 (301 Views)

I have a similar problem with a Compaq nc6000. The newwork connection and the wireless LAN worked previously but I had to format the drive and reload XP.

Now the network card doesn't appear in Device Manager. In fact there is no category for Network Adaptors. I've tried downloading the Broadcom driver but it won't install and terminates before the driver is loaded.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.