NC4200 Hardware Wireless Switch not working (983 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Daniel Dryhurst
Message 1 of 5 (983 Views)

NC4200 Hardware Wireless Switch not working

Hi

I recently updated the Intel wireless 2200bg drivers from intel's own site, and have come to use the wireless client as we now have had WAP's installed in work.

I tried enabling the wireless in the client and it said 'Cannot enable, please use the hardware switch to enable the wireless receiver' (or words pretty similar).

So I checked device manager first and it appeared in the list, so I figured I'd just press the wireless button on the left hand side of the laptop.

I pressed it and nothng happened at all, no blue light came on to indicate that wireless was active.

I then rebooted and checked the BIOS and it was enabled there as well, the LAN/WLAN switching was set to Auto if I remember correctly but everything looked in order.

I've now installed the latest version of the Intel software again and still no joy - it's as though it just won't 'switch on', is there a hotkey for disabling or something?

Thanks
Occasional Visitor
stefan nengerman
Message 2 of 5 (983 Views)

Re: NC4200 Hardware Wireless Switch not working

i have the same problem,no blue light

thanx
Occasional Visitor
Greg Hoffman
Message 3 of 5 (983 Views)

If wireless had been disabled via the control panel then it can not be enabled via the hardware button. Go into control panel, network connections or Start, connect to, show all connections. Right click on wireless then select enable.
Occasional Visitor
Kate Hare
Message 4 of 5 (983 Views)

Greg Hoffman Dec 14, 2006 21:59:17 GMT Unassigned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If wireless had been disabled via the control panel then it can not be enabled via the hardware button. Go into control panel, network connections or Start, connect to, show all connections. Right click on wireless then select enable.

================================

I tried enabling via control panel and up popped the little icon that is searching for connectivity but not finding it because I can't get "the blue light" to come on. Now what? What is also super-frustrating is that when I connect at the office with the cable, the wireless is also activated and works with no problem, but when I'm working remotely, the wireless won't come on at all. How do I fix this "smart" setting (I read in the Windows help file that the computer "remembers" past connection setting preferences).

Thanks
Occasional Visitor
Sparkylabs
Message 5 of 5 (831 Views)

I have this problem but it will not even work under linux, can the driver be buggy and disabling the wifi ?

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.