Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN causing Blue Screen (BSOD) on Elitebook 8570w Win 7 SP1 64-bit (525 Views)
Jerry Padavath
Message 1 of 3 (525 Views)
Accepted Solution

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN causing Blue Screen (BSOD) on Elitebook 8570w Win 7 SP1 64-bit

Hi everyone

Since a few months, I am using an Elitebook 8570w.

I cannot tell you when the problem started but as soon as I unplug the notebook from the power supply and WLAN is enabled, I get a blue screen after a while. Sometimes, but not that oftehn, I am experiencing this issue even when the Notebook is connected to the power supply and WLAN is turned on.

I could not determine when exactly this blue screen appears but it is definitely the WLAN (Bluetooth is disabled in BIOS for the moment). It is happening most of the time when I am running two or more virtual machines with VMWare Workstation (v9.0.2).

The WLAN card is an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205. I tried several drivers (mid 2012 to latest in Apr 2013) with complete uninstallation of the previous drivers. No success. OS is Win 7 SP1 64-bit.

Google helped me a little and I have found an Intel forum where people are describing almost the same issue with these Intel WLAN modules.

Checked the HP Knowledge Base and I am just finding older posts not dealing with the newer modules.

Should I consider replacing the WLAN card (Warranty)? Anyone experiencing the same issue and was able to find a solution/workaround?

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry Padavath
Message 2 of 3 (204 Views)

Re: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN causing Blue Screen (BSOD) on Elitebook 8570w Win 7 SP1 64-b

Hi everyone

Finally, I kicked the Intel WLAN module and replaced it with a Broadcom module (HP spare part number: 669832-001, Broadcom model: BCM943228HM4L) with driver version: 6.30.223.228 (05.02.2014).

This resolved my blue screen issue. The intel drivers (even the latest one) are not working with the setup I have on my Elitebook 8570w and I gave up to find another software/driver related solution. Since a few weeks I can run several VMs in VMWare (9.0.4) without having any issues.

Hope that this information is a help for anybody who is struggeling with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN module.

Cheers, Jerry

HP Pro
HP Pro
A_L
Message 3 of 3 (180 Views)

Re: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 WLAN causing Blue Screen (BSOD) on Elitebook 8570w Win 7 SP1 64-b

Another great tool is HP Softpaq download manager which checks and can keep your system up to date by looking for all the latest drivers and BIOS updates. 

HP Softpaq download manager

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Thanks,
A.L.
I am an HP Employee
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.