How to disable or remove Intel Boot Agent? (7921 Views)
Advisor
bimmerdriver
Message 1 of 6 (7,921 Views)

How to disable or remove Intel Boot Agent?

HP replaced the system board on my 8540w and now it always reboots from the network resulting in error messages from the Intel Boot Agent. The Intel website says on laptops the boot agent can only be disabled from the bios. I cannot find a setting for the boot agent. I have tried changing the boot device order to force the hard drive to the top, but that setting will not stick. Every time I reboot, it always goes to the network first unless I use F9 and manually select it. As I never boot from the network I would prefer to remove the boot agent. How do I do that?

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (7,920 Views)

Re: How to disable or remove Intel Boot Agent?

Hi:

In your BIOS, (Boot Options Menu) Disable the PXE Internal NIC Boot, and see if that disables the Intel Boot Agent.

I read where some guy made the thing go away by disabling is onboard NIC but that doesn't seem like a good solution to me unless you never use it.

Paul

Advisor
bimmerdriver
Message 3 of 6 (7,911 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried disabling booting from the network in the bios settings, but that had no effect. I also tried changing the order in the bios settings but the order reverted to the network first. It appears that the boot agent is overriding the bios settings. I just rebooted on the network (because the computer would not resume from sleep mode) and it takes even longer for the boot agent to time out.

Information on the Intel website implies that it should be possible to override the boot agent from within the bios, but that definitely is not the case.

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (7,909 Views)

When you changed the boot settings in the BIOS, did you hit the F10 key at the point of making the changes and again when you selected "Save Changes & Exit?"

If you don't hit the F10 key at each menu you make the change, your changes will not be saved.

Honored Contributor
Paul Tikkanen
Message 5 of 6 (7,908 Views)

Hi:

...and you can look at this thread too...some are saying it is a defective DVD drive...remove  it and see what happens in your case. You may have a tiny screw locking it in place on bottom of your PC. Read your service manual before proceeding...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-Compaq-Slate/Hp-Compaq-8510p-Very-Slow-Intel-Boot-A...

Paul

Advisor
bimmerdriver
Message 6 of 6 (7,906 Views)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was advised by HP to upgrade to the latest BIOS, which I just did and the boot order is different. The hard drive is higher than the NIC by default. The computer no longer tries to boot using the boot agent.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.