HP won't honor warranty (695 Views)
Regular Advisor
taggart
Message 1 of 13 (695 Views)

HP won't honor warranty

I have been without my computer for a month. I have a shipping order and credit card receipt and the order confirmation emails from HP proving I have a warranty and HP keeps telling me I'm "not in the system" and they refuse to help me. My mom has an hp and she called to help see if she could make any sense out of it and now they are saying she doesn't have a warranty either. Someone please help!
Honored Contributor
banhien
Message 2 of 13 (695 Views)

Re: HP won't honor warranty

Hi John,

1. What kind of warranty are you talking about?

2. Depending on where and when but normally you should have 1 warranty from the manufacturer.

May be in your area/country, HP has different system.

BH
BH
====
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 3 of 13 (695 Views)

Hi JD
You think you got problems? - check out this little saga on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/HPs-failure-uphold-their-warranty/forum/Fx31SVV0G9Z0OQT/Tx2MINOJ0ZOQHO3/1/ref=...

Or google for < hp warranty complaint > - turns up nearly 100,000 !!

I assume you've already used the "warranty checker" on the HP.com site ?

Of course, there's likely no-one on this forum can help you - although there are some good HP guys as moderators - but they don't appear to have much influence on the way things get handled - or don't.
Regrettably, IMHO, HP's just got too big too quickly - and appears too often to be in organisational melt-down mode in the customer support area - although they can be very good on occasions !!!

Of course, you need to be on firm ground! Did you buy direct from HP or from a reseller? Are you sure your warranty is provided by HP themselves - or could it be the reseller's responsibility?

I'm not too sure on consumer law in the US - and your position will likely depend on where you bought it (reseller or HP direct), how the warranty was given (again direct by HP, by reseller or via an insurance company) and whether you bought it as a "consumer" or a business.

Here in UK you'd be on strong ground as a retail purchaser and have a simple court procedure to get things sorted.

In my experience, providing you've got your facts straight, going to the top is the first move. You've got to get to someone with the authority to make things happen. Write to the CEO, append full details of your claim and a concise calendar of events detailing your interaction with their support service - and say you want this sorted in 14 days otherwise you'll sue them for breach of contract and claim all costs involved. If you've got no action after a fortnight, do so and go to the press too!

It would be good if you'd keep us posted on developments - and good luck.

Regular Advisor
ieee488
Message 4 of 13 (695 Views)

Yet another example of why I *never* buy the extended warranty.

It is just not worth it for technology products that becomes obselete in a few years.

It is really horrible that HP's system is so messed up.
Frequent Advisor
AdamJGreenberg
Message 5 of 13 (695 Views)

Lots of questions to ask first because you are not telling us the whole story.

1) When did you purchase it, do you have the receipt?
2) Was this a refurb or new unit?
3) Did you buy it from a HP retailer?
4) Did you fill out the warranty card and send it in?

Frequent Advisor
Jeff Smith
Message 6 of 13 (695 Views)

1) When did you purchase it, do you have the receipt?

purchased 9/06/07 and I have a reciept

2) Was this a refurb or new unit?

Brand new computer
3) Did you buy it from a HP retailer?

bought from hp.com

4) Did you fill out the warranty card and send it in?

never received a warranty card so no

Thank you all for your replies
Regular Advisor
taggart
Message 7 of 13 (695 Views)

Jeff is me, I forgot my password so I used that account.
Regular Advisor
Stefan P
Message 8 of 13 (695 Views)

Did you get 1, 2 or 3 years warranty? if you only got the 1 year warranty then it's out of warranty.
Regular Advisor
taggart
Message 9 of 13 (695 Views)

I have my three year extended warranty back!!!!

I called this number 1-800-407-6210 which is the warranty registration number. They conference called the sales dept and cross referenced my serial number with the sales order number from my original over a year old invoice and viola, they said my warranty is back and in a few hours it should be recognized by tech support and I can finally get my computer back.

If anyone from hp is reading this, this very bad. It has taken one month and six days to get someone to even admit I had a warranty at all, let alone give it back to me. For the past month I have had nothing but excuses, hangups, insults (that I am trying to steal a free warranty, etc.) and every other underhanded trick in the book.

Thank you everyone.
Honored Contributor
banhien
Message 10 of 13 (695 Views)

> I have my three year extended warranty back!!!!

It's good to hear that. Let me tell you a story (sorry not computer related), I needed a flooding report for my home insurance. After chasing around 4 organisations, I had to pay $$ for the fifth organisation to get a report from the first one. The first org referred me to the second org and ...

Cheers,
BH
BH
====
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 11 of 13 (491 Views)

Great result John Doe!
Let's hope someone from HP does read this - and passes it well up the chain of command !
Occasional Visitor
Beverly Leepart
Message 12 of 13 (491 Views)

I bought my computer direct from HP in August 2008, and got the 2 year extended in home warranty. Yesterday, talking to customer service, they indeed confirmed I had the warranty before they forwarded my call to tech support to find out why my 16 month old computer will no longer boot up. Tech support tells me my 2 year warranty ran out at 1 year???? Something to do with it was superimposed on the manufacterers' warranty and made that warranty an in home warranty, making the whole warranty good for one year only??
Honored Contributor
Paul Walling
Message 13 of 13 (491 Views)

Beverley
Sorry to hear that - but it will not help you posting your problem here. I think there's already plenty of advice on this thread that you can follow. So don't get angry - get even by following the advice....
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation.