HP compaq nx9010 bios update and DriveLock password problem (818 Views)
Occasional Visitor
José Dias
Message 1 of 6 (818 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP compaq nx9010 bios update and DriveLock password problem

I've updated the bios of my brand new HP compaq nx9010 to its latest version and right after that it's asking for a DriveLock password that I never specified.

I only had the bootpassword specified which I can recall.

I don't know how to solve this, can you please enlight me?

Tks in advance,

Jose' Dias
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 2 of 6 (818 Views)

Re: HP compaq nx9010 bios update and DriveLock password problem

I assume this is the latest BIOS-feature to support the security mode. It is to set the security of your hard disk according to ATA/ATAPI-5 specification.

The purpose is to protect all the data stored on a hard disk. Each hard disk can be secured via a password.

Here are some of the information on this Drive Lock feature:

During POST ( Power On Self Test ), each hard drive is being checked, whether it is locked or not. If a System Password is set, any hard drive with the same password will be unlocked by entering that System Password. The hard disk drives with different passwords have to be unlocked separately by the user.

I AM SPECULATING ON YOUR SITUATION BUT IS MAY NOT BE CORRECT.

In your case, you set a new System Password but you did not set the same Password to your hard drive. I suspect that your password for the hard drive is "blank" and the "blank" password is usually an invalid entry.

Now, worst of them all is the following condition specified by this ATA specification:

" If the password is entered three times ( 3 ) unsuccessfully, a Master Password is required to access the hard disk drive."

Let go slowly and try to figure out what we can do to unlock this hard drive in your system.

Before we start, what was the BIOS version you had and what version is now with your system ?

Below are some of the steps our engineers at our sister lab told me to do if I encounter this situation.

If the the "Drive Lock" was enabled accidently with the old BIOS (for example KH.F.15), then try the following steps:

1. Downgrade the BIOS to the original one ( say: KH.F.15 )

2. Go to setup and enable the "drive lock", reboot the unit to see if the system can boot from the hard drive.

3. If yes, then go to setup again and disable the "drive lock", reboot the unit to let the BIOS clear the password.

4. If the above steps didn't work, you have the following options;

5A. Stop right here and call HP Support and ask them what to do next.

5B. Enter the wrong password three time and let the system asks you for the HDD Master Password. At this point you will get your HDD ID and it is either 8 or 10 digits code. Now, you need to call HP and request HP to give you a Master Password based on your HDD ID.

Good Luck.
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 3 of 6 (818 Views)

Before you try the procedure I mentioned in my previous posting, call HP/Compaq Support and let them guide you to resolve this issue.

You can try my suggestion but I believe it is better for you to get proper support from HP/Compaq.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
CA1006146
Message 4 of 6 (818 Views)

you should be able to flash back to BIOS KH.F.13 which can be found in SoftPaq SP#25345

You can find this by searching on the HP FTP site by Softpaq number. Here is the link: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/ just look for SP25345 and download it and create a BIOS upgrade floppy.

Once you have flashed KH.F.13 boot and go into F2 and disable all passwords. Then you should be able to update the current BIOS, KH.F.19 and re-enable your passwords.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
José Dias
Message 5 of 6 (818 Views)

Tks a lot. Problem solved!
Please use plain text.
Honored Contributor
Clinton Tam
Message 6 of 6 (818 Views)

I blieve the following URL will be very helpful for end-user who encounters the same BIOS upgrade problem.

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=PS031024_CW01.xml&dt=3

It provides a table detailing what version of BIOS needed to roll back in order to clear all the passwords.
Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation