Re: HP Protect Tools Bios Security (1687 Views)
Occasional Contributor
Riehmann
Message 1 of 8 (1,814 Views)

HP Protect Tools Bios Security

Hello there

I'm using a HP 6550b Notebook (Win7x64).

I'm going to try to explain my problem as brief as possible:

When I first got it I set up the device using the pre-installed software, enabling all security features, such as drive encryption, pre-boot security, etc. If I remember correctly, back then the version of HP Protect Tools was 4.x (well, I'm not really sure on that).

After a while I tweaked some of the laptops hardware (RAM and HDD). After installing the harddrive, I didn't install Win7x64 from the recovery disks, but from another Windows CD <- meaning there's no such thing as a recovery partition or something like that.
I installed all necessary drivers and security software from the hp website - including HP ProtectTools, which is now version 6.x and doesn't include bios configuration any more. All the versions of bios configuration I've found so far are not compatible with v6 of HP PT.

Now here's my problem:
When I try to disable all security features there is STILL another "old" version of pre-boot security (there's a McAfee logo displayed) active. This version is NOT depending on the installed OS, disk whatsoever. I am not able to disable it. What can I do?

Any help is appreciated!

Thx Chris

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
hpbnb2
Message 2 of 8 (1,797 Views)

Re: HP Protect Tools Bios Security

Hi,

I Work for HP.

I suspect this issue can be cleared up by resetting BIOS security to defaults:

1) Press F10 to enter the BIOS setup when the notebook is turned on and the HP logo is first displayed

2) From the main BIOS setup, select the item that reads Reset Security Settings to Default, or something similar

3) The notebook will reboot twice, each time clearing a BIOS security setting

Please let me know if this works.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Riehmann
Message 3 of 8 (1,774 Views)

Hi

Thank you for your reply!

The BIOS security was reset, just as you've explained...

I found out now that this that was not my real problem... Unfortunately! :-/ 

Now that I've had an even closer look I discovered, that some remaining part of the drive encryption software (see attached image) is still active*. 

As I mentioned earlier: drive encryption is switched off in the HP ProtectTool Administrator-Console and this screen will STILL appear... What can I do? I even tried to uninstal the drive encryption software: no solution to that.

Here's what I am intending to do: 
I did a disk backup with Acronis and recovered the image to a larger SSD. When I assemble the new SSD and fire it up, I get an error** which is somehow in relation to this piece of software. If you search for this on Google you'll find a few pages on the McAfee website. McAfee says it's a HP problem...

Maybe you've got another idea? ;-) 

Thank you!

Chris

Should I change the subject of this thread?

It's always better to readbefore you start complainingright? Sorry for the mistake - for some reason I thought I was some old version of pre-boot security.

** EPEPC has been corrupted [error 92h]

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
hpbnb2
Message 4 of 8 (1,765 Views)

Hi,

I work for HP.

Error 92h is an indication that the encrypted file system is corrupt.  This is probably caused by an inconcistency created when backing up the image of the encrypted drive and restoring it to a different drive.  For a change like this, it would be advised to decrypt the drive first.

If you still have the original drive and can boot to it successfully, it would be best to decrypt the drive, perform the imaging, then re-encrypt the new drive.

If this is not an option, the next step is to contact HP Support with the error 92h.  The issue will be reported to the correct team, where a tool and process can be provided to you to gain read access to the data on the drive.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Riehmann
Message 5 of 8 (1,699 Views)

Hi

this is a nice idea, but: how do I decrypt the drive? Encryption is NOT ACTIVE in the "HP ProtectTools Administrator-Console"... :(

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
hpbnb2
Message 6 of 8 (1,697 Views)

Hi,

I work for HP.

My responses are based on the following assumptions:

- The original drive was encrypted at the time it was imaged.

- The image with encrypted data was applied to the SSD.

In this situation, the SSD hasn't been encrypted using ProtectTools, but the image applied was encrypted on the original drive.  I could see this leading to the error 92h because a new drive cannot receive an encrypted image and continue to run.

My recommendation is:

- Decrypt the original drive

- Image the original drive

- Apply the image to the SSD

- Encrypt the SSD

If the original drive has never been encrypted, then I do not know how error 92h can be occuring.

There is another approach you may want to consider.  It requires reinstallation of the operating system and applications on the SSD.  If you have access to an external USB drive, you may want to look at Windows Easy Transfer.  It is included with Windows 7 and will allow you to save all user data from the original drive to an external drive.  That data can then be applied on the SSD after fresh operating system and application installs, and will restore the notebook to the same user state as the original drive.

One benefit of this approach is that it tends to clean up the software environment and therefore can increase stability.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Riehmann
Message 7 of 8 (1,694 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for your recommendations.
I'll might want to try the "Easy Transfer" option.

Just to point something out. I was not trying to apply the image to another ssd since I got the error 92h. I was trying to decrypt the ORIGINAL drive, which was not possible, because HP ProtectTools says: NOT ENCRYPTED or ENCRYPTION NOT ACTIVE...
Firing up the laptop, I get the message "Encryption Active" please enter credentials... :(

Well - I'll just try the Easy Transfer...
Thank you for your effort!

Please use plain text.
HP Pro
hpbnb2
Message 8 of 8 (1,687 Views)

Hi,

I work for HP.

Thanks, that clarification helps.

The condition described with the original hard drive is mostly consistent with known error 92h symptoms.  I am unfamiliar though, with the ability to continue to boot the original hard drive once error 92h occurs.  I assume it is bootable by the fact that ProtectTools can be reached to read the encryption status (even if it is the incorrect status).

Easy Transfer Wizard will probably result in the quickest and most stable solution.

Please use plain text.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation